Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I drove to Topeka,m KS to pickup my 2009 950 that I parked there for my son to use this past 9 months. I started it and drove back home 85 miles with no problems. (She sure did run gooood!!). This morning I went to start it and it will not start.

I can turn the key on and the gauges will respond like they should (speedometer makes the needle sweep, idiot lights light up and neutral light stays light) I then hit the start button and from under the seat I hear a loud click and then the gauges go dead, to include the neutral light. then a clicking sound from under the tank starts and continues for about 30 seconds then stops (I think this is the fuel pump). After a while (about a minute or 2) the neutral light will come back on and the gauges come back alive and when I hit the start button, the same thing as before happens so everything goes dead again.
While my son had the bike, he put some aftermarket front and rear turn signals on the bike.
I would like to know what everybody thinks is wrong. I think I have a wire that is not connected correctly and is shorting out someplace. But I would like to know what do you think? The lould click that I hear is coming from a clear plastic box that is to the right side of the battery.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
It sounds like the battery is dead. A bike will run if the battery is not taking a charge, but once the battery has lost it energy it can turn the instrument lights on, but not have enough energy to spin the starter.

if you have a volt meter check the battery. Check the connections to the battery and the ground wire from the battery to the frame. If they are corroded that could be why it stopped charging.

Its also possible your battery has expired (more than 4 years old) or your charging system has failed.

If the battery is dead now, you can charge it up, and the bike will start, then you need to check your charging system on the bike.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am with KCW. Check the battery ANDgrounding wires. Aftermarket turn signals, if installed properly and did not nick another wire, should not cause battery drainage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You might be in disbelief about the battery, but it can happen just that quick. I started the bike up, rode 5 miles cut it off to meet up for a ride and nothing when I tried to start it a few minutes later. For me it turned out the battery terminal had shorted itself. One of those things were you look back once you have a fresh battery in and realize that it had been starting just a little slow and dragging a little for a time, but didn't realize it while it was happening so quick. The 30 second ticking does sound like the fuel pump priming the system to me as well.
If you don't want to pull the battery, but have a volt meter, like KCW was saying, check battery voltage. You should have 12.5 V or higher (may have to trickle charge over night to get there). Watch the meter when trying to start. If it drops below 10 V and doesnt immediately come back up, then it is very likely a bad battery.

·
Registered
175 Posts
First thing to check are clean connections at the battery terminals. Dirty connections will affect the amperage sent to the starter and will prevent the battery from charging when the motor is running. Get a voltmeter.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
346 Posts
Sounds like the plastic box is the starter relay.. you never heard it before because the starter would engage.. I agree sounds like a dead battery.. try checking the connections and maybe even a boost .. if it starts from a boost than i would say battery for sure is bad.. It happens like that :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the people giving me indicators to look at and/or check. It turns out that it was the battery. I had 11.9 volts, but when I put a load on it (tried to start the bike), the volts went down to nothing.

Installed a new battery and now I'm scootin' down the road with a big smile---thank you for all the help.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,843 Posts
Glad you got it back on the road. We like it when it works out.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
just for a sanity check, measure the voltage after you have ridden it awhile, make sure the charging circuit is working.

when you first get off the bike after riding it should be 12.4V or higher. if its less than 12V let us know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
To check the charging system , put a multimeter across the battery terminals with the bike running. It should read 13 to 14 1/2 volts.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
different bikes put out varying voltage to the battery while the motor is running, on some it depends on the engine speed.

If you check the battery after you ride the bike for a while, with the engine turned off, if the charging circuit is not working it will pull the battery down below 12V. That is the simple spot check to make.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts