Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 v star 950. I keep it under a bike cover inside a car port. Rode it 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. It will not start today. Dead as a door nail. Battery is fully charged. When I turn on the ignition the head lights come on and so do the warning lights on the gas tank. No buzz for the starter. No response from the starter. Took the seat off and found nut hulls on top of the battery. Evidence of mice or chipmunks. Have not been able to find any damaged wires. Need help. Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the problem. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Must have set it either putting on or taking off the cover. I missed a great afternoon to ride because I didn't think.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've done that myself. Now it's the first thing I check when that happens. Glad it was something simple.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I few times while riding I have let go of the throttle to adjust the mirror or pull on my helmet, and when I put my hand back on the grip my glove hit the kill switch and I did not feel it.

Freaks me out everytime it happens, till I remember "oh yeah... killed it again".

Another common problem is these bikes will not start with the kickstand down if the bike is in gear. Sometimes you get distracted and push the starter button and..... nothing.

I would still take a really good look around under the seat and in the battery compartment. Mice and chip monks will not chew thru copper wires, but they could nibble the insulation off wires (and chew thru vacuum hoses) - and then an exposed copper wire could short while you are riding and blow a fuse.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I few times while riding I have let go of the throttle to adjust the mirror or pull on my helmet, and when I put my hand back on the grip my glove hit the kill switch and I did not feel it.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has done that.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has done that.

I think we have all done it one time at least. But that "oh crap" moment before you remember to check kill switch seems to last forever.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
The dumbest control confusion thing Ive done, went to beep the horn at some kids on the side of the road

and pushed the starter button instead....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts