Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my new maxair kit and new pipes, the bike ran great. I installed new fuel lines to fix the cracked and leaking line to the petcock and reassembled the bike. After washing it to take it out for a ride, the bike was only running on the rear cylinder. I checked for air, fuel and spark. The spark plug in the front seemed the spark on the week side, so I reversed the spark plugs and the bike won't even attempt to turn over. I bought new spark plugs and the bike still won't start. Here's a video of what the bike sounds like when I try to start it. No fuel pump sounds, no turning, just buzzing. I can't seem to find the culprit of this sound or the source of the problem. The battery is at 11v. Is this enough to start?

·
Registered
246 Posts
somewhere I remember, these bikes need at least 11.7 to spark... Make sure everything else is dry too, if you were cleaning... good luck

Reactions: Lup69

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my world, I won’t say a bike won’t start until it won’t push start. Especially a VStar. Crappy starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
577 Posts
Clean your battery connection, especially if you don't have side posts! $8 to $10 at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
577 Posts
LOL! I have done that, and was late to work because of it.

New clamps are cheap. Harbor freight if you have one local is cheap. 3 to 5 bucks for a pair with the rubber (supposedly) grips.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! I have done that, and was late to work because of it.

New clamps are cheap. Harbor freight if you have one local is cheap. 3 to 5 bucks for a pair with the rubber (supposedly) grips.
Eventually I'm going to fix it up with new cables, labels, clamps and paint. It works for now, but it's definitely seen better days. It's a hand me down from my wifes great-grandfather. It's older than me by a few decades!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I have about 4 of them laying around, damn it one of them will work. The last one i bought because it is programmable from tender to cycle to car. You don't want to charge a bike battery over 2 amps less is better so they don't overheat which will shorten its life

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
577 Posts
That guy: if/when you fix it up, post some pics. Actually, post a before pic please!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts