Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Oh, crap, Wart, I think you found another horse for us to beat.

Iowa doesn't require any eye protection.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Maine has no eye protection requirement.

Massachusetts it is required during lerners permit and a windshield meets the requirement.

I find it odd that eye protection is not mandatory for bikers. There must be a lot of good reasons for it to be a requirement by law. One reason that i have is a pedestrian is at risk from an approaching biker recieving a sudden eye injury. And a small stone kicked up on a highway, like the one that puts a divit in your car's windshield, could create multi-vehicle chaos should it nail a biker in the eye.

Your thoughts?
Come to think of it Wart, this country does not have mandatory eye protection, not in this state anyway. Helmets are mandatory but not goggles.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Maryland has a requirement that the eye protection be FDA approved...yes, I said FDA. That means any glasses you can buy from your local 7/11 will work. A windshield counts, as does a shield on a helmet.

I prefer my goggles, normal sun glasses don't stop the wind.

·
Registered
570 Posts
JUST to let you know that even 3rd world countries have brains, Mexico is a helmet country. Now the question that might arise is whether the law is obeyed, or enforced? The answer is: gererally no. If you ride a bike for a job you must use your helmet or the insurance will not cover your accident. If you ride for plesure then you take your chances with the law. maybe you will get stopped and pay a fine on the spot, or if you a Gringo, like me, you will be stopped everytime and pay everytime....a lot. I wear a helmet with face shield but the shield is not required.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
In Oklahoma it is windshield or Goggles
+ horn,muffle,2 mirrors,2 finders, speedometer and under 18 a helmet.

http://www.fastfreds.com/helmetlawmap.htm
That's the same as here in Washington State except we got full time helmet law no matter the age.

I believe eye protection is mandatory here, i will research to make sure i know what i'm talking about.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
In Oklahoma it is windshield or Goggles
+ horn,muffle,2 mirrors,2 finders, speedometer and under 18 a helmet.
I was right with 'ya until the "horn muffle", but my real question is: can you substitute GPS for the "2 finders"? And if not, do the two finders have to ride with you or can you go in formation?:confused::D:D:D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I was right with 'ya until the "horn muffle", but my real question is: can you substitute GPS for the "2 finders"? And if not, do the two finders have to ride with you or can you go in formation?:confused::D:D:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chiming in late, but.....................

L O Freakin L!

·
Administrator
13,680 Posts
If you ride for plesure then you take your chances with the law. maybe you will get stopped and pay a fine on the spot, or if you a Gringo, like me, you will be stopped everytime and pay everytime....a lot.
hmmmmmmmmmmm

if it smells like a bribe and quacks like a bribe..........

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wisconsin requires eye protection or a windshield, although I can't remember if the windshield has to be a certain height to qualify. However, I do know of some that have been stopped for not wearing eye protection even with a windshield. No tickets, but strong recommendations from the LEO to wear it regardless. Personally, I ride with both. My eyes are light sensitive (I wear sunglasses any time the sun's up, cloudy or not), and without something over my eyes my contacts dry out within a mile. Besides, it's amazing how many bugs I have to clean off my lenses after riding at night, and that's with a windshield. Better my lenses than my eyeballs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts