Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started riding again I have always made a point of taking a ride on my birthday (12-01). But considering all that white stuff on the ground today I don't think it's a good idea. So I have a favor to ask. Could someone down south take a birthday ride for me and let me know how much I enjoyed it? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ever since I started riding again I have always made a point of taking a ride on my birthday (12-01). But considering all that white stuff on the ground today I don't think it's a good idea. So I have a favor to ask. Could someone down south take a birthday ride for me and let me know how much I enjoyed it? :)
You enjoyed it very much although your knees got a little cold. We left my house in Longs and it was 51 degrees. We headed east to the beaches in North Myrtle Beach and took a half hour ride south along the beaches off Ocean Blvd. The water looked beautiful but it was a little windy as we caught some blasts from between the buildings. We then turned back along the beaches and finally we turned west heading back to Longs and to my house. It was 49 degrees when we returned and the sun was setting. Weather forecast is for cooling tonight so we'll see some 30 degree weather. I hope you enjoyed your birthday ride - I know I did. :D

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My birthday ride would be on 12/23.... never thought about doing that being in central ohio and all; but one day I'll get further south :)

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
you had a great ride on the way to work yesterday. good thing you are in TX as it was a nice and crisp 66 degrees when heading in at 4PM because you work the late shift. dropped down to 44 when you left work to come home, but the whole way you were thinking about how glad you were that you don't live in Indiana where there is snow on the ground right now forcing others to leave their bikes at home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Think I'm going to have to get to a warmer area for my birthday ride being it is in January and I live in North Dakota....

·
Registered
211 Posts
ha ha, was my birthday yesterday too, heavy snow for the last week here so i've been reduced to a mere pedestrian too :(

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Year last on my birthday:D Wife and I went on the IRON THUNDER Five State Poker Run out of Guymon OKLA. 300+ mile on the run from Okla,Texas,New Mexico,Colorado and Kansas. Wont do that again:eek: Some 1200 miles in three days. This time I'm going to keep it too 100 or less:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would love to start that tradition. My wife's b-day and mine are exactly a week apart (12/10 and 12/17), and it would be a blast to celebrate them on the bike. Might have to wait until we move south, though; the northern Wisconsin weather just doesn't want to work with us (stupid snow :mad:).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciated the vicarious rides and had some chuckles reading everyone's posts. All good fun by bike lovers from different parts of the US. Best wishes and have a very Merry Christmas.
Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was 80 degrees here today, but had to work out of town so couldn't ride. :( gonna be 50 tomorrow, don't these people realize riding weather isn't workin weather. West Texas is the place for winter riding!

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my B-day (Oct 23rd), my wife and I planned a long ride, but she had other things to take care of... so I had to go without my co-pilot. As she put it you deserve a little alone time.. So off I went... I think I did about 150 miles of solitary cruising, just me the bike and my iPod... It was a one of the best B-day presents I've ever received.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds like you had a good birthday :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
The wife and I are going on a "Toys for Tots" Poker run tomorrow here in Vegas. Will let you know how your cards played out . I'll even mention I'm riding for your B-Day since you can't due to being in the snow covered North country... I'll see what knick-nacks I can pick up as a B-Day present

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
Was 80 degrees here today, but had to work out of town so couldn't ride. :( gonna be 50 tomorrow, don't these people realize riding weather isn't workin weather. West Texas is the place for winter riding!
gonna be about 10 degrees warmer here in Austin than in Lubbock over the next few days. maybe you meant to say Central Texas is the place for winter riding

:eek:

·
Registered
778 Posts
The wife and I are going on a "Toys for Tots" Poker run tomorrow here in Vegas. Will let you know how your cards played out . I'll even mention I'm riding for your B-Day since you can't due to being in the snow covered North country... I'll see what knick-nacks I can pick up as a B-Day present
Leaving out to go on a toys for tots run here in GA, high today is 36. Brrrr

·
Registered
214 Posts
What a wonderful day for a ride.....and about 800 riders thought so too.........

Well, DD, your vicarious experience today started out waking up to cold tile floor trying to get the dogs outside before their bladders burst... you know, why is it ?/ that a dog's cold nose burrowing under the covers always finds your ass and gets you instantly wide awake at 6;45 AM.

Time for a hot cup of coffee and a cup of tea for the wife. Flip on the Weather Channel to find it's 48 degrees, sunny, dry, no clouds in the sky. It's a beautiful day in Vegas.

Time to get dressed, roll the bike out and do a quick pre-check. Damn !! I forgot I loaned out my compressor to one of my co-workers at school. So I run across the street and brorrow the neighbors to put air into the tires. I convince him to to tag along since he was up already. All I hear for the rest of the day from him, how cold it is.........REALLY ???

The wife and I are dressed in full leathers so we keep looking at each other laughing, shrugging our shoulders. Several suggestions are passed back and forth riding to the starting point letting him know he needs to dump the windbreaker and fork over $$$ for a quality lined leather jacket. Half his comments are unprintable....LOL

The host for the ride was the Shriner's Temple, believe it or not, they had a 18wheeled tractor trailer and the damned thing was nearly halfway filled by the time we added our toys to the ever growing collection.

When we arrived at 9AM there were already over 200-300 riders there and queing up for Registration, with more pulling in at every glance.

Free coffee and do-nuts at Registration, the wife purchased 2 longsleeved t-shirts featuring the Shriner's 30th Anniversary doing a "toys for tots" Run in Vegas.

PS. They were adding at request, a free shot of "Bailey's" to your coffee.. DD, you had 2 shots in your coffee by the way, since it's your B-Day.

Breakfast was being served as part of the festivities so, even though the line was slow and long we had an enjoyable time. However, there was a spirited discussion with the people in front and behind us as to the merits of going on a bike run vs going to the Opera I don't know why but DD...YOU kept wanting to go to the Opera ?? is that what you guys do up there in the cold northland during the winter...LOL

Soon, the starting bell was going off and the bullhorns were making announcements no one could hear as hundreds of bikes started up. The lead car was an old Model Ford T (??) with a rumble seat. Would you believe, Santa himself was seated in the rumble seat waving as gaily as the Miss USA contestants on a Thnkgivings Day float.

I was mistaken, it wasn't a Poker Run with stops along the way. It was going to be friggen 800 bike "PARADE" across town to the football stadium.

It was so awesome to see this long serpentine column of 2's stretching for miles and watching all of the autos and trucks pulling over to let this "Parade" roll nosily on by.

We were towards the front of the line so we were able to park at the stadium, get off the bikes and then continue to watch the myriad variations of bikes continue to roll into the main staging area.

The band was already going as riders were making their way to the various libation stations. Long lines formed up very quickly for lunch....Wait a Minute !! .we just had breakfast !!

Every registered rider and passenger recieved 2 drink tickets........ Sorry DD, if I'm riding I don't drink so neither can you....... However my wife enjoyed the beers for the 3 of us. After all, all she has to do is sit and hold on .....LOL

We spent at least 30 mins wandering the multiple lanes of bikes just looking at them. As a matter of fact, my bike got several favorable comments on its flame paint job.

Then it was time for us to leave. As we started putting back on our jackets, sure enough out came the "You know, I'm gona be cold getting back home " comments from the neighbor.... LOL..LOL

Yes, it was a very enjoyable day. And , DD I hope that you enjoyed your vicarious visit

And best of all, we're going on another run next weekend !!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeff, Sounds like I had an awesome time. Thanks so much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts