Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of a fanatic about ATGATT...I work in a hospital and see too many road rash victims. I'm the guy with the full face helmet, full finger gloves (leather mesh),mesh jacket and pants (with elbow, knee, etc armor), and boots on the 110 degree day. (As a side, it really isn't as bad as it looks, when moving it doesn't feel much hotter than a t-shirt.)

Anyway, I have gotten some flak about not answering my phone while commuting into work (long story). I can't hear or feel it in my pocket while heading up the toll road at 80 mph. Does anyone have any experience with a Bluetooth ready helmet?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/helmets_and_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/is_max_bt_raptor_multi_modular_motorcycle_helmet.html

I'm not a fan of being 'reachable' on my motorcycle, but might have to be if I want to maintain the ability to ride into work on the good weather days.

My main concerns are:

Can you hear the phone or ringer anyway? (my bluetooth in the car will preempt the stereo, does the bluetooth helmet stuff 'ring' in the helmet speakers?

It isn't SNELL certified. (Never owned a non-snell helmet.)

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I haven't used any bluetooth helmets but a cheaper option might be to look at the communication systems... I don't remember the brand but Cyclegear is has a unit on sale atm for $100. It's plug and play with any full face helmet (uses magnets to hold onto the helmet - no holes to drill and easily removable) and works with your bluetooth phone to take calls, play music, listen to GPS directions, etc. Basically it has earplugs and a microphone that fit under the helmet. You can also buy two and chat with friends while riding together. The sales guy I spoke to has used it for a couple of years and says it works great. I'm planning on getting one as soon as my paycheck comes in :D

Oh yeah, I used to live in Austin and the Cyclegear store there was AWESOME.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will check out the unit and the cyclegear store.

On another note, WTH is up with them changing my signature into an ad?!?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I added a bluetooth intercom system for me and the wife on our full face helmets. They are great. I can listen to music, hear GPS directions, the phone rings (yes you can hear it in your ears) and then answers automatically. Perfect sound. Mine has noise cancelling. Love it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand/model do you have? Is it an ear bud kind of thing or did you install helmet speakers?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of full face helmets do your wife and you use? I have seen the flip up face HJC helmets that are blue-tooth ready...just would prefer and option that had the snell rating (those particular HJC's are DOT only).

·
Registered
240 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts