Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New member to the forum. I just took delivery of my 2018 Eluder. Sorry to jump right in for help with my first post!

Love the bike so far but... Bluetooth pairing has been a nightmare. I have a Google Pixel 2 phone and it pairs perfectly with every other device I've tried including both of my cars and all my speakers and headsets flawlessly. But on the Eluder I can't get the bike to hold the connection. Especially audio. On the info screen I get a message loop... "Connected...Disconnected...Connected...Disconnected". The audio will come on for a second or two and then disconnect and that keeps going on over and over forever unless I shut the bike down. I'm pretty tech savvy and have done all the usual and not so usual fixes but nothing works. I also thought it might be my phone but I tried my wife's iPhone and same issue. Anyone else experience this type of thing?

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
had a similar issue when I got my Ford Fusion a few years ago, my phone would connect but my wife's phone would not.

if that were the case I would suspect the SW in the phone needs to be updated

but... since you tried two phones and they both do it, it sounds like its the motorcycle end.

Sounds like a trip back to the dealer. If they cant get it to stay paired with a phone, its a bike issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KCW. Yeah, I'm 99.9% it's the bike. I'm going to try and update the infotainment software later today and hopefully that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ill get that connecting, disconnecting message if I am charging my phone in the right glovebox with the lid closed, open the lid and no error. I believe my phone overheats in there with the lid closed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill get that connecting, disconnecting message if I am charging my phone in the right glovebox with the lid closed, open the lid and no error. I believe my phone overheats in there with the lid closed.
Interesting. I don't have my phone connected to the bike when this happens but I wish it was that easy. I did update the bike to the latest version of the infotainment software but no luck. Still won't connect. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad BT antenna.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Interesting. I don't have my phone connected to the bike when this happens but I wish it was that easy. I did update the bike to the latest version of the infotainment software but no luck. Still won't connect. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad BT antenna.
Does Pandora work ok?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pandora is buggy as well. I can get Pandora to open up on the bike about 50% of the time but the audio is still only on the phone. So you can control Pandora on the Infotainment screen but it won't play the audio through the bikes speakers. I'm going to call Yamaha tomorrow and try a 3rd phone as well to see if I can narrow down the cause a bit more.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks KCW. Yeah, I'm 99.9% it's the bike. I'm going to try and update the infotainment software later today and hopefully that fixes the problem.
You should be running software version 12.0.6 on your bike. The dealership SHOULD have updated all software BEFORE they delivered the bike, but we’ve seen other instances where they have not. You would not be alone.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Pandora is buggy as well. I can get Pandora to open up on the bike about 50% of the time but the audio is still only on the phone. So you can control Pandora on the Infotainment screen but it won't play the audio through the bikes speakers. I'm going to call Yamaha tomorrow and try a 3rd phone as well to see if I can narrow down the cause a bit more.
Plug your phone into USB2 in the trunk.

·
Registered
448 Posts
One last thing, when my Android phone is connected. I can go to the blue tooth section and pick "Phone or (DEVICE)" for sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should be running software version 12.0.6 on your bike. The dealership SHOULD have updated all software BEFORE they delivered the bike, but we’ve seen other instances where they have not. You would not be alone.
Thanks. I did update the software (the dealer didn't do it at purchase for some reason) and no dice. I also tried the direct USB tethering and the bike is saying "unsupported device".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing of note is I tried my wife's iPhone and it connects to the bike perfectly every time and works with all features - audio, Pandora, Phone, etc.

So I think I've narrowed the issue down to the Infotainment software not playing well with Android.

Is anyone else running Android (Pie 9.0) and not having issues?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last thing, when my Android phone is connected. I can go to the blue tooth section and pick "Phone or (DEVICE)" for sound.
Sorry, do you mean on your phone or on the bike? I have selected the phone to play audio on the bike and on the phone I have audio playback selected as well.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry, do you mean on your phone or on the bike? I have selected the phone to play audio on the bike and on the phone I have audio playback selected as well.
It possibly an Android issue. I say that because I’ve never had any issue with any functions not interfacing, but I am on an iPhone 7+.
When my phone is plugged into USB2 then my Infotainment can search and play any songs on my iPhone as long as I’ve selected USB2 as my source.
Also, I can make & receive phone calls when paired with Bluetooth BUT I am NOT able to use the CONTACT SEARCH on the phone without it being plugged into the USB port. Using VOX command to place a phone call doesn’t work either because it can’t access the phone CONTACTS without being plugged in.
Also, try and use Pandora while the phone is plugged into USB2. It comes down to a data throughput issue with Bluetooth. This is one of the reasons Yamaha did not go exclusively Bluetooth for comms and other things.
Like I said, try accessing Pandora with the phone plugged in.
I use USB1 up front exclusively with a 32GB stick that has a weeks worth of MP3 music on it. The Infotainment system is able to sort and play the songs by TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUMN & GENRE. I’ve only used my AM/FM radio twice in the last year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Eluder so unfortunately I don't have USB2. Wish I did because direct connect would work for me. USB1 didn't work for tethering on Android as well.

Rob, I do have playback selected on my phone but that wasn't the issue since my phone does connect it just drops in and out. On, Off, On, Off, etc...

I think I'll take the bike to the dealer and see if they have anything to say but at this point I've tried everything possible with no luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Solved! - Ok, I finally solved this issue in case anyone else runs into the same problem. On any Android phone under Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options - scroll down to Bluetooth and you'll need to downgrade Bluetooth to version 1.3 and then do a hard reset but holding the power button down and then hold down "Reset" for 5 seconds. After I did this I was able to connect to everything on the bike and it's been working perfectly for the past week so all good. PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts