Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on an hour ride this weekend and found myself scraping quite a bit. Maybe I'm getting more comfortable on the 950 and just leaning a bit more. Some were at higher speed but one was at a low speed right turn, which I thought was odd. It's a bit unnerving since I'm not used to it, but it doesn't seem to impact the ride. Is there anything I need to be careful about or just roll with it? I was hoping to drop the rear a couple of inches but not so sure anymore.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The more I ride the more I scrape. Still more on left turns/corners that right, but I have gotten used to it. Personally, there is no way I would lower my bike, I like it where it is.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
if you lean your body just bit more in the turns the bike will need less lean also if you can increase fork pre load with a longer spring spacer or progressive springs you can bring the bike up a little for better clearance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you lean your body just bit more in the turns the bike will need less lean also if you can increase fork pre load with a longer spring spacer or progressive springs you can bring the bike up a little for better clearance.
Not a bad idea... Raising the front a hair would probably fix the seating position issue that has me considering lowering the rear a bit too. I'm pretty good with lean (come from sport bikes) but no more knee dragging for me. :grin:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not a bad idea... Raising the front a hair would probably fix the seating position issue that has me considering lowering the rear a bit too. I'm pretty good with lean (come from sport bikes) but no more knee dragging for me. :grin:
i'v been known to go to large empty lots and scribe a few circles to warm up for the days riding, which reminds me my board heel inserts are getting a little thin..lol

·
Administrator
13,280 Posts
the faster, steeper you take turns, the more the bike is going to lean into it. and these are cruisers, not sportbikes. and i've seen countless 950 owners question the scraping of the floorboards which leads me to believe that our bike scrapes more than any other V Star. especially if you have the bike lowered. you don't have "poor technique" just because your bike's floorboards happen to be a lot closer to the ground than the next guy's bike. so i wouldn't take a small blurb from one source taken out of context as a judgement on someone's technique as a whole too close to the heart. my bike is lowered 2.25". and after 7 years, my floorboards still have plenty of material left. here's the right one at about the 50k mile mark:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This was a big concern of mine before purchasing the 950. I may not upgrade suspension until next year. So far, it's not that often I scrape.

Also, I have observed the lean angle in a long rolling corner. When I slide my body over to the inside of the turn, the bike angle decreases a substatial amount. And the corner is still executed perfectly.

It's fun to sit upright and lean the bike over when you feel the pull coming out of the corner. But better technique does tell you to slide over a smudge and lean it.

·
Banned
292 Posts
This was a big concern of mine before purchasing the 950. I may not upgrade suspension until next year. So far, it's not that often I scrape.

Also, I have observed the lean angle in a long rolling corner. When I slide my body over to the inside of the turn, the bike angle decreases a substatial amount. And the corner is still executed perfectly.

It's fun to sit upright and lean the bike over when you feel the pull coming out of the corner. But better technique does tell you to slide over a smudge and lean it.
Kudos to you. Your middle paragraph is spot on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In looking at the video, I think that he was actually leaning a bit to the outside. If he had leaned his body forward to the inside there would have been less bike lean, he might have saved on bike repairs. He's extremely fortunate that he came out of it unscathed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, that sucks!

Check out the riders inboard foot.

Looks like he started really loosing it when his foot got dragged back to the bag.

The guy is lucky to have walked away from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Just completed the Experience Rider Course. I was able to execute the box, flawlessly, multiple times, without scraping. The 'high speed corners were where I scraped. The instructor said, "Just roll on. If you have to let sparks fly, just roll on." And that's exactly what I did.

(Btw, the angle of that dude in that video would have and experience super sport racer exercising his/her limits. That's what I think anyway. That's a sharp corner, and I wonder what his speed was, and what it looked like in person. Save it for the track. I dunno. That's just me being a smart female rider who doesn't feel the need to push beyond limits.)

I have a little better understanding of some limits after today. Many will come with improving my skills, and learning my bikes capabilities.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts