Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone! Today is the day I finally start the bobber build. With only about 1 more month or so until riding season is really in full effect here in Washington I figured I'd take this time and get the 650 a little love :)

So far here's what I plan on doing to her:
-GAK air intake
-Rejet the carbs
-Custom made exhaust fully gutted of course
-New tires
-New pegs
-15" approximately for ape hangers
-New cables and lines for handlebar
-Bobber seat of course
-Rear and front fender delete
-Tank fixed and repainted in matte black along with the other trim pieces and coverings
-Rear turn signals and brake light
-Relocate the license plate
-Smog delete
-New headlight
-New grips
-Might do a lowering kit but I'm not 100 percent on that yet

This will be a month or two process so just stick in there with me. I plan on using this thread to ask questions and if anyone has any advice or suggestions please feel free to express them :) I'll be working on the bike as much as I can and when the weather permits it. I also have a lot of wire wheeling to do as there's a lot of surface rust from being outside by previous owner and myself.

Here's a couple pictures of her as well as my first little question:
Do you guys prefer the look with or without the storage compartment?

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
547 Posts
Personally, I kept the storage compartment as it houses the OEM tool kit and my registration document. The beauty with a bobber though is all about making it your own...

Reactions: Boog and Hyde_me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed! I think I'll keep it off for cleaning and getting rust off and see how I like it for a bit

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
See how it looks after you've cleaned that area up a bit.

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Personally, I kept the storage compartment as it houses the OEM tool kit and my registration document. The beauty with a bobber though is all about making it your own...
If you need to have a added tool box it's not that difficult. I made a tool kit holder from a fire extinguisher and attached it to the frame of the bike.

It's big enough to hold the tool kit, some plugs and a rag or two.

Reactions: Boog and Jspree

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's an amazing idea with the fire extinguisher! I usually always ride with a backpack anyways so I can keep some basic tools in their along with registration and what not.

Another question, I noticed most of the wire wheeling in doing is leaving a bunch of scratches everywhere. What's the best way to get the scratches out? Fine sandpaper and a buffing wheel?

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
547 Posts
If it's in the chrome, you could try soap and water with a ball of aluminum foil... Sounds kinda odd but it will polish out a lot of scratches and also help remove discoloring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.