• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YOU ARE VOTING ON JUNE BIKE OF THE MONTH

gonna do it kind of special this month. we've had 2 awesome 950s presented to us so let's see these 2 compete against each other! and since it's only 2 bikes in this month's competition, we're gonna show you a multitude of the pics they've submitted instead of just the customary single photo

OWNER: Kel

Year:2009
Make/Model: V Star
Eng size:950
Modifications: Custom paint job (candy burgundy and art) Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes, headlight modulator
Accessories: Kuryakyn ISO Grips (black), Kuryakyn Throttle Boss (also black), Mustang Seat (passenger not installed yet)
Length of time to build: Purchased in October of 2012, ordered the paint job in December, first ride was on 8 May 2012
And the story/inspiration/additional comments: When I was twelve I was introduced to a barbed wire fence by a little 120cc mini bike. It not only hurt like hell (I still have the scars 16 years later) but it scared me away from bikes ever since. I hate being afraid of things, so I finally bought this bike. Needless to say I had no idea how to ride it, so while the paint was being applied I took the MSF Basic Riders Course. Talk about a confidence builder! When it finally came time to take my baby out I was rearing to go! A week and a half, and five hundred miles later my only regret is not jumping back on that little 120cc as soon as I healed up! Bonus points to whomever can point out where the skull comes from :D

ENJOY!! I know I am!!

OWNER: Low and Mean

We are a vendor and we did build this V Star 950 with a lot of our new product line. Hope you all like our V Star 950.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think this is a cool one. Both are very nice bikes, some are into bikes like low and mean and some are not. LM's bike is bad ass!! But my taste is simple yet clean looking bike, just like this contest shows..... This will be a tough one, still not sure who to vote for LOL

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks L&M! However, if I win I want a fair fight lol everybody vote for the bike you want for this month. L&M put a lot of hard work into their bike, just as I put a lot of hard work towards paying for mine lol. Besides, it is exciting to watch this battle unfold! I didn't expect to do so well against such a sweet ride! Cast your vote, riders, may the best bike win!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good luck Kel.... Sorry L&M the only thing I like on that bike is the air filter cover...
Wow, seems we are far off from being popular in this contest. Man if everyone felt as you all do we would be out of business! I guess we need to get a clue, because if the only thing you like on our custom is the air filter, then we did not build a good 950. And I'm not picking on 2woofs, look at the results so far, we are getting beat by a stock 950 with a paint job. It's a fantastic paint job, but wow, the votes are showing, we did a bad job in building and creating a different style for the 950.
You guys are the ones we are trying to please, I mean come on we are not here to build 950 parts for nothing. We want to build some cool parts that most of you would put on your ride, I was hoping you all would like us and dig our product... WOW was I wrong.
Hey I'm not wanting anything but to offer you all something different and cool for your ride, but I have failed and the results in this contest show.
Kel, great job I would offer you a gift certificate, but I'm sure you would see anything that interest you. However the votes swing, I will offer you something for being a good guy.
Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't think its that your bike is not nice, its a very nice bike L&M but I will say this if I had your bike posted above I would not want to ride it, its way to nice!!. I see in this group there is a lot of people that want to ride there bikes, now is this the reason the votes are going to the other bike :confused: maybe.

It sounds like from your post above you thought you had this contest in the bag?? It doesn't matter anyways cause you still made a sic looking bike

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
Kel, great job I would offer you a gift certificate, but I'm sure you would see anything that interest you.
L&M, you did a fantastic job putting that bike together, don't let this make you think anything different! I have already been going through your site and looking at the parts you have to offer since I first found out about you guys, and I am loving what you offer for the 950. A lot of places don't have much because most people see this as a starter bike, not the one to customize. I even ordered the coil cover you made a few weeks back to get rid of that bicycle helmet that comes stock with it. Just waiting for it to get here so I can install it :D On top of that, you guys really showed what is possible with the 950, which gives 950 owners like myself a ton of insight into what we can do to our bikes and exactly how awesome they can be! I even tell anybody that asks about my bike that your site is a great resource to go to when wanting a custom bike that won't break the bank.

Whoever wins that bike in the sweepstakes will love it, I'm sure! I even signed up myself, and like others, I would not have signed up for it if I didn't like what I saw. Keep up the excellent work, and I can't wait to see what else you guys come up with!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don't sell yourself short, L&M. You guys have built an incredible looking bike, and I'm really excited to see the 950 get attention like this because as Kel pointed out, this bike doesn't get as much respect as it deserves.

If your goal is to build a custom show-quality street machine, then good because you've done exactly that. That's the kind of motorcycle I'd expect to see in a bike show or a magazine, or on a TV show. But if your goal is to have accessories with broad appeal, you simply need to expand your lineup a little bit and target them more at the daily rider crowd. The parts you've designed are great looking, but they mostly seem only to fit with your custom design.

Take the saddlebag, for example. I'm in the market for saddlebags right now, but the one you offer wouldn't look good on my bike because I don't have custom fenders and body lines. That bag on the stock bike would look pretty out of place. Pretty similar to the feedback I gave about your coil cover: it looks great, but it wouldn't fit with my mostly-stock bike.

I think you guys do really good work, it's just aimed at the heavy-custom market, which I imagine is much smaller than the "accessories to slightly tweak my showroom-stock bike" market.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kel you got my vote!! Not only because it's a great looking bike, but I think we are comparing an apple to an orange. One bike is a special one off show piece built by a company that is in business to do just that. The second bike is a bike that is like the ones we all have. A bike we go to work eveyday and earn a dollar to make it our own bike.

L&M has built an amazing show piece, but that's what they were working toward while at work. Kel was doing his normal daily grind to pay to make his bike his.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
13,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i can't believe we're having to stroke the ego of a professional bike/parts builder.

1)the contest isn't over. and the lead has changed at least a couple times with it being tied at some points as well

2)of the only 46 votes in, if just 3 people had voted the other way, your bike would be ahead right now

3)some people just like the looks of a bike looking more stock than custom. between this site and a couple other yamaha sites, i'm amazed at how excited some people get on the forums over the simplest items or mods

4)there maybe just a couple things that a particular voter didn't care for on your bike which swayed them away since so much of your bike is custom. so even if they liked the majority of what they saw, maybe just that one thing or two is what swayed them away

5)if your purpose was to display all the many different parts people can get for their 950, and you've got as many of those displayed on the 950 as possible, there may be quite a few people who see your bike and want to order one or two of the things they see on it. i mean, your whole bike is pretty much a promotional build anyway

6)this is just a small sampling size on one site. if this were a live bike show like someone else suggested, the results could be different at this point. or they may be different if a bunch more people voted or if it were another yamaha site, etc.

7)you've already had this bike and give-away featured in numerous motorcycle publications and sites and countless people ogling over it. do you really think you did a bad job?

·
Registered
159 Posts
i can't believe we're having to stroke the ego of a professional bike/parts builder.

1)the contest isn't over. and the lead has changed at least a couple times with it being tied at some points as well

2)of the only 46 votes in, if just 3 people had voted the other way, your bike would be ahead right now

3)some people just like the looks of a bike looking more stock than custom. between this site and a couple other yamaha sites, i'm amazed at how excited some people get on the forums over the simplest items or mods

4)there maybe just a couple things that a particular voter didn't care for on your bike which swayed them away since so much of your bike is custom. so even if they liked the majority of what they saw, maybe just that one thing or two is what swayed them away

5)if your purpose was to display all the many different parts people can get for their 950, and you've got as many of those displayed on the 950 as possible, there may be quite a few people who see your bike and want to order one or two of the things they see on it. i mean, your whole bike is pretty much a promotional build anyway

6)this is just a small sampling size on one site. if this were a live bike show like someone else suggested, the results could be different at this point. or they may be different if a bunch more people voted or if it were another yamaha site, etc.

7)you've already had this bike and give-away featured in numerous motorcycle publications and sites and countless people ogling over it. do you really think you did a bad job?
Very well said!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
To be honest the contest is nice to win, but not why we are here. We want to build products you all would want for your ride. There's not a lot for the 950 and we wanted to bring more of a custom feel to this model. Even though the motor cc are small, the platform is one of the best to build from. My favorite part of this Custom was making the seat. You could NEVER get the nice narrow lines from the gas tank to the seat on a Raider, Stryker, Warrior or any other model. You would have to cut and modify the gas tank. The seat also allowed us to put more foam than stock and lower it 2"! Good looks and has more foam than stock, what else could you ask for? I'm not trying to sell you guys on a seat through this contest. I'm just pointing out. That in the 7 weeks we had with this V Star 950 we thought out almost every part. We did not cut, grind, weld or make anything that could not be bought. This was a complete bolt-on custom V Star 950 (Besides the paint). Which the end result is more product options for you all. AND we are not done, we have two more fender options coming and a LED brake turn kit that will tuck you license plate under your fender. ( Kinda like our Stryker rear LED kit ) Anyways.....
Back to the contest, like I said Kel, you're a good guy, contact me when your ready, send me a wish list and I will offer you a one time excellent price to help you build up your V Star 950.
[email protected]
Chris
PS. We usually do group buy purchases for forum members (on other forum boards) If any of you have interest, pass the word, let us know, we would be glad to help you all if your interested.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts