Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have read a bunch of information on here and thought its time to introduce myself. I have been riding about six months. This is my official first bike though. I bought it a month ago and the snow will not let up. I have yet to take it for a spin. I just have been starting it up and sitting on it for now in my garage :D. I hope to gain vast knowledge of the v stars and what they have to offer.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Ah yes, the 'new bike in winter' garage moments . . . filled with 8-year-old 'vroom vroom' sounds :D

Welcome to the group - and you have no excuse for not posting pics. For gawd's sake, it just sitting in the garage and you can't ride it anyway - post some dang pics!

·
Registered
412 Posts
welcome to the forum Drew... good to have ya. if you throw in a lean or two, it helps with the garage time. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hopefully pictures work. I'm doing it from mobile at moment. I live in central Wisconsin and am going to school for networking. I'm am chef currently. I have fallen in love with riding and want to start making some mods to my bike as well. The bike looks pretty stock as is, but I am not sure what the exhaust is. Does anyone know? Is that stock?

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/113902516152648425840/album/5854266616754291153/5854266618364358242?cbp=10wi3zb4uybr8&hl=en&sview=20

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/113902516152648425840/album/5854266616754291153/5854266617862898322?cbp=1fswuvsno8nng&hl=en&sview=20

The pictures are from the cl ad I bought it from. Weather isn't good enough for me to get good pics yet.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Well you've got an 1100 classic Silverado for sure, looks to be maroon. Added OEM passing lamps with visors, highway bar/engine guard with foot pegs, and front fender trim. Very nice for sure.

But only the first two pics open, so we can't see the exhaust. If you also can't see the exhaust, that's probably the reason you don't know if its stock :D

Welcome again!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
That exhaust is what we refer to as "bone stock" :D

The bike runs very nice in the stock formation. If you ever decide you want more sound (or just a deeper sound) you can start with drilling the exhaust, then move on to removing the baffles completely, and then using a slip-on muffler, and finally replacing the exhaust completely. Or just jump to a complete new exhaust. No reason to spend a lot either, just watch ebay and craigslist for a nice set of pipes that were too loud or too quite for the previous owner and for about $250 you've got new pipes.

If you then decide you want a bit more performance, look to replacing the stock air intake (very restrictive to meet emissions). For about $100 (buy-your-own parts) or $150 for a kit (google chubby air PODS) you can move to POD filters and see a world of improvement.

With either mod, you'll need to rejet - figure $20 for jets and either a few hours to do it yourself, or $200 +/- for a shop to do it for you.

At the very least, find the vstar 1100 wiki knowledge base and start reading - great info. Make sure you thank Sick Mick for making it happen when the original knowledge base was at risk of being lost.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
SS makes the chubby kit, but that's just the name they have it for marketing (and it works well). The idea is the same whether you buy all the pieces individually (save some money at the cost of your time) or just order a kit. In the end you have all the same pieces and the same work to install.

Some of the kits differ by using a filter/breather to catch oil blow-by vs a catch can vs feeding it back into the system using a PCV valve. I opted for the later (no cleaning, no emptying, no fuss).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Welcome Drewters! I mostly provide the sarcasm around here...but I think I heard you are starting the bike on and off in the garage. I'm pretty sure that is not good for it. Get a battery tender and run a pigtail out from the battery up through the seat if there isn't one already there. Stick to the 8 year old vroom vroom sounds and leaning of the bike Miescha and Wheels mentioned. They give good advice. Vrrrooooom!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Miescha for all of the help.

Annie, I have already installed a battery tender pigtail and have it coming out just over the battery cap at the moment. What seems to be the best spot for that? Its not often I start it in the garage, but sometimes I just can't help myself :)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
drewters, can't speak for the rest of the crowd but I like the pigtail coming out of the left front area of the seat - my sweetie got me heated gear for Xmas and Birthday and that lets me use the pigtail for both things. My vstar 650 had a pigtail on the right, way too close to the wheel IMHO - not sure who set that up that way as I bought it used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts