Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i bought myself a '14 950 Touring and haven't had a bike in a long time. I'm looking for a list of items that i should have/get for support. I have the basic safety gear (Helmet and gloves) and am looking for a reasonable jacket. Being a bit short for my weight i'm going to have to try them on so a web purchase isn't an easy path. I have the manual so i'm really seeking Rider suggestions

I'm really looking for advice on tools or other items i should have. I remember needing the battery tender, so any suggestions would be great.

Also what routine checks should i do whether daily, weekly, or monthly.

Are there any out of the box adjustments or modifications that i should make.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 950 is a great bike.
With that being said, I don't think there is a rider on here who wouldn't agree it has perhaps the worst factory seat on any motorcycle made.
You will find you want to change it out in no time at all.
You will get as many opinions on seats as people you ask.
Mustang makes a nice seat as does Ultimate. These seats can be a bit pricey but I have seen many guys have the stock seat reworked so the answer really is whatever works with your budget and your butt lol.
Congrats on the new bike, enjoy it and ride safe!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Web purchases for a jacket may be a lot easier than you may believe. Try LeatherUp.com. They have a liberal return policy and if you read the comments from other purchasers, you'll get a really good idea on sizing and how it may fit. I've purchased 2 jackets and a pair of boots from them and have no complaints. Their textile jackets are of good quality and they cost 1/3 of what the Joe Rocket brand with cost you. These jackets get really messed up after awhile and although still functional, they end up funky.

Tools will depend on what you want to do. If only for emergencies, the kit that comes with the bike will be enough. Even for oil changes or brake disc replacement. If you're going to be tinkering and adding a lot of after market things, then get yourself a good set of metric tools. Look at the oem kit and get at least better versions of what is there like Craftsman box/open end style wrenches. Sometimes the open end wrench in the kit just won't cut it. The battery tender is a great idea if you live in a colder climate and the bike will sit for longer periods of time.

Read your manual about the routine stuff. I check my oil at least once a day, more if I'm riding long distances. Check your tire pressure at least 2 or 3 times a week. Do a visual circle of safety every time you get on the bike, lights, turn signals, brake lights and tires. I never get on my bike without making sure these things are in order.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the same "height" problem, and I'd also suggest that buying online is less dicey than you'd think (though be sure you buy somewhere with a good return policy). And definitely the suggestion to read the comments is good. You'll often find folks noting size variances, e.g. "buy this a size bigger than you usually wear, it runs small" etc.

If you really must to go to a store, there's a CycleGear in Laurel, MD. Their selection is okay, but of course not nearly what you can find online. DO NOT buy anything there until it's on sale, unless you simply enjoy overpaying. The sale prices tend to be about the same as you'd pay online, the non-sale prices are full-bore retail. If you go to their site and sign up for their emails, you'll get sale notifications, etc.

Your local Yamaha dealer may have some gear for sale too. Mine is a Yamaha/Triumph/Polaris dealer and has plenty of generic gear, as will many dealers (Harley dealers typically have only Harley-logo gear). Expect to pay premium prices, of course.

Of course, if there's a local/non-chain shop near you, make sure you give them a shot too.

Obviously, you can 'showroom' at any of the above - find the brand/size you like by trying on, then go try to buy it for less online once you know. I don't do that myself, since I think it's unfair to the retailer and leads to disappearance of local shops... plus I have this little instant-gratification problem. But your qualms are your own.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not all, but many brick-and-mortar stores will price-match items, if you can show them the Internet pricing. All of them are well aware of the Internet competition.

I can't but wonder why people buy bikes knowing they will have to "upgrade" the seat. Seems to me if enough people refused to buy bikes with uncomfortable seats, eventually the makers would get the word. After all, motorcycles are luxuries, not needs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1 on shopping online for jackets and brick and mortar stores for "shopping" to learn what you like. Face to face with a knowlegable sales person can be helpful and look for sales for sure. Leatherup and cyclegear both have been good for me

Amazon turned out to be good for some gear. I got two pairs of Kevlar lined jeans for $69.

As far as mods to the bike, I have a 1300 Deluxe so I don't know much about performance mods for your bike.

A couple of things you might consider are highway/freeway bars and highway pegs. They will give you ways to move your feet and change position for your back/butt. I added a propad gel pad for my seat. It helps a lot with the stock seat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Charon -

As a guy who's spent his life as a marketer, selling stuff to people, I agree about the seat thing. And yet, I also understand the dynamic. Like it or not, the company that chops $500 of the price of the bike by putting a crappy seat on it will always do better, generally, than the company that 'does everything just so' and it costs more. Don't like it, but that's the reality.

Slayer -

Now that you mention it, I agree to always 'ask for the deal' at a retailer. Show 'em the online price and ask to match it, etc. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay 10% more, e.g., to buy at a local store, with someone to help, able to try things on, etc.

Also, at cyclegear in particular and knowing how retail works. If your heart is set on a jacket that's not on sale this week, you might ask if they'll give it to you at the sale price. Many stores have a 30-day price-match guarantee or similar and if they know it's going on sale, they'll just give you the price. Also, many retailers have a standing option for the manager to give __% off discretionarily. In jewelry retail, the world I know best, nearly all stores will do that, giving you the 'sale' price, if you ask.

I probably buy half my bike stuff on Amazon (and am a Prime member). That's equal parts a) I know I can return it if there's a problem, b) selection available I simply can't get locally and c) free 2-day shipping...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i was planning on heading down to the Laurel Cycle Gear this weekend just to see what the jackets were like. The dealership i purchased the bike at had MX all armor or the textile (no armor/pad) fluorescent jackets. I used to wear a denim jacket but am looking for something a little more protective now.

The seat is that bad huh? It is so much nicer that what i had before i didn't think twice. As i ride more i'm sure i'll see what you all are saying. The highway pegs or bars do make sense.

I don't think i'm going to do a lot of customizing but we'll see. I wish they still had center stands, they made me feel more like the bike wasn't going to tip over any second.

I'm glad nobody came back saying i need some engine mod or something to fix a problem. I was reading one thread about somebody that was reprogramming the ECU and then i had read somewhere another item for the exhaust if that isn't the same issue. (Can you tell i'm not an engine guy).

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Hi mrr, welcome to the forum and the 950t. I own a 09' and love it. The other members are correct about the factory seat. I have a Mustang seat on mine. The 950's are great candidates for engine upgrades if you prefer. Follow the owners manual on recommended services and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on the new bike. I owned a 950 for about a year and a half and never had a problem with the seat but, I'm 5'6" and weigh about 167 lbs. I only put about 13,500 miles on the bike so I'm also a casual rider. Try it and see. Not every butt is the same.

As far as tools, a ratchet and a set of metric sockets and set of Allen (hex) wrenches come in very handy along with a belt tension tool. If you're gonna wrench on it then, a torque wrench will come in handy too. If you're not a wrench, just a rider, the 950 is pretty good right out of the box. You could ride it for years without ever changing anything. Oddly enough, someone put some thought into the 950 and the 1300 before they put them on the market. Be safe and have fun. Augie

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
1)remove the warning sticker off the gas tank
2)you may find the seat uncomfortable after 100 miles. i highly recommend a mustang seat
3)you can improve the sound of your exhaust by drilling out the outer disc in the tailpipe about 12 inches in, won't affect performance at all
4)you can improve performance some by drilling holes in your airbox

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1)remove the warning sticker off the gas tank
2)you may find the seat uncomfortable after 100 miles. i highly recommend a mustang seat
3)you can improve the sound of your exhaust by drilling out the outer disc in the tailpipe about 12 inches in, won't affect performance at all
4)you can improve performance some by drilling holes in your airbox
That sticker was a pain.
I'll keep that in mind
HOLES? now wait a minute.
Again HOLES?

:eek:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Drilling holes in any part of a new notorcycle is a dilemma.

Drilling the airbox does make a difference I did this to my 1300 within the first month. There are instructions and templates on the web.

The exhaust hole is way up inside. Again youtube has vids on how to. This mod allows relief of the back pressure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
HOLES? now wait a minute.
Again HOLES? :eek:
Rick, I reckon that after being an engineer for 43 years, I realize that the engineers have probably already looked at that. Why didn't they want more holes there? Why didn't they want more air or fuel in there? Why didn't they want a fatter tire or even a car tire on there?

From my experience, engineers in general want to over-design everything to the point that you have to stop and say, "Whoa, Time to shoot the engineers and get on with production". I'm not saying that the things that make her faster, smoother, louder, or a tire last longer are wrong. It's just how you want to spend your time and money. You could spend them on gas and riding.

Some will say that emission and safety standards dictate how the product comes from the factory and that may be true. It is curious that many folks never do anything but use the product for many years without problems. You're the engineer.. :):)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rick, I reckon that after being an engineer for 43 years, I realize that the engineers have probably already looked at that. Why didn't they want more holes there? Why didn't they want more air or fuel in there? Why didn't they want a fatter tire or even a car tire on there?

From my experience, engineers in general want to over-design everything to the point that you have to stop and say, "Whoa, Time to shoot the engineers and get on with production". I'm not saying that the things that make her faster, smoother, louder, or a tire last longer are wrong. It's just how you want to spend your time and money. You could spend them on gas and riding.

Some will say that emission and safety standards dictate how the product comes from the factory and that may be true. It is curious that many folks never do anything but use the product for many years without problems. You're the engineer.. :):)
I understand the Engineer mindset, started at the Univ of South Carolina as an Electrical Engineer (Go Cocks). I like the idea of making the bike throatier but the first i wanted to check was the cost of the airbox in case i needed to replace it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any recs on how to remove that tank sticker? Mine has been on for 10 years and looks like new, bonded like iron. It laughed at goo-gone... Ugly sucker that I'd love to get rid of...

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Don't gotta do anything to the bike! Enjoy it! Ride it for a few hundred miles at least past your break in before thinking of mods.

Go to all the stores you can, try on gear. THEN go online with your sizes and buy :D The prices up your way are ridiculous. Just find a jacket you like, remember what it is and order on amazon. That goes for all your gear.

Maintainence? Nope. Don't gotta do nothin'. Change your oil. Check out your manual for intervals (of course break-in should be soon). Plugs is 8k miles or 12mo. I wouldn't do 12mo. Valve checks are every 16k miles. Belt tention, initial check at 600mi, then checks every 2500mi.

Basically your dealer should do a full service/check for your initial 600mi or whatever break in. Then you're good for, a very very long time.

Every day/weekly checks? T-CLOCS

The sticker, not sure on the Vstars, are they the same on most bikes? It was hell removing the one on the wife's Boulevard, but goof off did it, with a lot of wiping, applications, and many many paper towels. It almost seemed like paint. Peeled the clear plastic "sticker" off, THEN used the goof off. Words came off first. Then the orange warning, was left with a big white patch. Lots of goof off later, it was gone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't gotta do anything to the bike! Enjoy it! Ride it for a few hundred miles at least past your break in before thinking of mods.

Go to all the stores you can, try on gear. THEN go online with your sizes and buy :D The prices up your way are ridiculous. Just find a jacket you like, remember what it is and order on amazon. That goes for all your gear.

Maintainence? Nope. Don't gotta do nothin'. Change your oil. Check out your manual for intervals (of course break-in should be soon). Plugs is 8k miles or 12mo. I wouldn't do 12mo. Valve checks are every 16k miles. Belt tention, initial check at 600mi, then checks every 2500mi.

Basically your dealer should do a full service/check for your initial 600mi or whatever break in. Then you're good for, a very very long time.

Every day/weekly checks? T-CLOCS

The sticker, not sure on the Vstars, are they the same on most bikes? It was hell removing the one on the wife's Boulevard, but goof off did it, with a lot of wiping, applications, and many many paper towels. It almost seemed like paint. Peeled the clear plastic "sticker" off, THEN used the goof off. Words came off first. Then the orange warning, was left with a big white patch. Lots of goof off later, it was gone.
Thanks for the info on the sticker. Patience is a virtue, it seems.

Also a plea to support your local retailer, especially independents. By all means, when something is ridiculous in the store and half the price online, go online. But give the store a shot. Watch for sales, ask for discount, show them the online price and challenge them to match it. At the same time, consider if it's not worth paying a -modest- amount more (retailers do have expenses onliners don't in order to be there and let you try on that jacket...) for the convenience of trying on, grab-n-go, etc. My own rule of thumb is I'm okay paying ~10% more for store convenience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts