Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summarized timeline:
Mid-July: Bought a 2018 Venture. Showed up to dealership to pick it up (8 hour drive). Told I couldn't take it due to a recall (Brake switch). Called Yamaha and was told part would be sent by August 1st.

Mid-August: Dealer said part was on back-order and I was told by Yamaha the part would ship on the 31st.

Mid-September: Part hasn't arrived. Called Yamaha and was told there's no definite date when they'll be able to ship the part from Japan due to a world-wide shortage.

I told Yamaha I've already made two payments on a bike I haven't ridden so should I still keep paying for a bike I can't ride? Their response, "Yes, you don't want to miss a payment."

What would you all do?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Unbelievable
Timeline:
Tomorrow - call Yamaha and explain situation, Give ultimatum if part not here in 1 week tell them where they can put their part.
Next day: Call dealer and tell them no more payments until situation resolved

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
Man, they have you between the proverbial rock and hard place. I found some reference material for the recall if you don't already have it, not sure if it will help. NHTSA's recall number is: 20V814000, Yamaha's recall number is: 990140.

From the NHTSA.gov website:
If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Unfortunately, that information and 50¢ won't even get you a cup of coffee any more, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc. etc.

I assume you financed through Yamaha? It would seem reasonable that they would suspend payment and interest charges until the vehicle can be delivered. I think of words like "fraud" and "theft" when I'm paying for something that hasn't been delivered but they demand payment be made.

I figure you are quite in lust with the bike, but as a last resort maybe it's time to demand a refund of all payments made to date since they haven't delivered the motorcycle. I would expect any court would consider anything else to be property theft, but I'm no lawyer and I would be reluctant to have to hire one.

Since you asked what I would do, I would touch base with NHTSA and see if they can provide any help. I figure that would be a long shot, so I would be prepared to demand a full refund, including interest paid and walk on the deal. Then lawyers.

·
Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,658 Posts
They should at least privide you an equal loaner for the duration. My Triumph dealer guves me a loaner anything the Rocket III has to stay iver night. I had an Idian Chieftan for 3 weeks ince while the clutch was replaced. The extended time was due to the wrong parts being sent and had to be reordered.
I bet your dealership does not have such a policy of good customer service but should make an exception in this case. It is only a waiver form and excepting liability in case of an accident.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
@HunterRose64 i feel your pain and frustration all to well…
I am wondering why or how they could sell something that is under an active recall.
I would ask if I could take delivery of the bike because this recall really only was when the brake light stayed on and I believe only if the control was subject to water infiltration. Also I think it was voluntary.
However not sure if there is another dealer close to you and this is not an option but atleast you have it.
I believe you can get the part yourself and upgrade the switch. A few of us did that for the starter. Actually when I heard about the starters on this forum giving issues I bought one because at the time Yamaha did want to replace it as there was no recall yet. Needless to say when I bought it to keep just in case the starter was the same as the one being recalled. I sent it back got a new one as a replacement but the dealer wouldn’t install it….So the dealer installed their from Yamaha waited about one and half months for the part however I still had my bike.
oh also I think I first mentioned the brake switch issue on this forum a few time and the dealer under warranty replace the switch I believe 3 times before a recall was ever mention, then one day I saw a post that stated there is a brake switch recall but you had to go look and ask….so I am wondering if they will let you take it especially if you can test the front brake to make sure it atleast will work….
Goodluck…..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Time to have a lawyer draft a letter citing failure to perform, delivery of your property. Should only take a letter, and follow up phone call.. cheaper than another payment on nothing but a broken promise...

Reactions: Authentic Poser

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Time to have a lawyer draft a letter citing failure to perform, delivery of your property. Should only take a letter, and follow up phone call.. cheaper than another payment on nothing but a broken promise...
It is a shame that you have to push people to do the right thing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Get the bike, take it and ride it. The "brake switch recall" is not an actual issue. When it "fails" it kills your cruise control and puts the brake light on even though you never touched the brake lever. Your bike? Go bring it home. If they won't let you have it, ask nicely for a refund. I waited nine months for the parts for my brake switch recall, I never let that stop me from riding. Have fun!

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
Unfortunately, the brake switch recall is an NHTSA safety recall (20V814), which makes it a problem for US dealers.

Cut and paste from Yamaha's recall info sent to their dealers concerning the switch recall: "You must modify all affected motorcycles in your inventory". Yamaha's recall number is M2021-001R and the "R" indicates safety recall. There's all kinds of boring/cool info at Recalls | NHTSA. One number I found worrisome while digging around through the linked documents is that the recall affects 18,203 vehicles and only 8,579 have been remedied as of July 5, 2022. So there's still nearly 10,000 vehicles to fix and apparently no switches out there to fix them with.

Most amazing to me is @HunterRose64's dealer actually sold him a vehicle under active recall. That's against Yamaha corporate policy and probably against U.S. law as well. I know there is a used '18 SVTC sitting at a dealer in Lufkin, TX that they will not sell because it is waiting on the switch.

If HunterRose64 really likes the bike I guess he is at their mercy. Not knowing any of the details of whatever/if any agreement he and the dealer made back in July concerning delivery of the bike under recall, I can't believe a full refund isn't easily attainable. If the dealer won't cooperate I believe they will lose in court......and I hope HunterRose64 gets x10 punitive damages.

Just FYI, after my second "repaired" switch started hanging up on me I squirted a little silicone lube into the switch/brake lever area and it it worked perfectly for many months until the recall campaign happened. My dealer was able to get the new switch installed relatively soon after the recall was mailed to me, which is about the only thing they have done quickly since they sold me the bike.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have deep pockets and lots of time employ a Lawyer. The front brake switch is a safety recall, so Yamaha cannot release an unsafe vehicle for on road use. (New switch component has a 1mm circular mark molded onto the back of
the switch to aid in identification). Recommend you call partz quickest solution. You would need to call to verify the part is in stock, if you don't you know what will happen, don't you?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have you personally called Yamaha Corporate? Here is the number: 800-962-7926. For SVTC and Eluder only Contact number for Star Venture & Eluder Tech Support. Everyone who has called seems to have gotten a resolution. They can tell you if there are any front brake switches in country, and possibly expedite shipment. Be polite and you will get results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That is an excellent philosophy, applicable in many instances.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Being patient and polite. I don't blame the dealership. They've been honest and straight forward with my questions and concerns. I bought the bike because Yamaha told me the part would ship by August 1st. I figured 2 weeks would be ok. Then Yamaha changed it to August 31st and just recently told me they no longer have a set date due to worldwide shortages.

I really want this bike so I'm stuck with Yamaha's inability to ship a simple part. Other than the brake light staying on and the cruise control turning off, are there any real dangers to the brake switch malfunctioning?

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
1,048 Posts
I think the real danger is that vehicles behind you won't be able to tell when you engage the brakes since the brake lights can be on all the time and the only hint you get on the bike is that the cruise won't enable/engage....so you don't know what your lights are telling other people.

The cruise unexpectedly shutting off if the switch decides to activate the brake light is easily preventable by not using cruise control.

Searching the internet for the part (2DF-83980-01-00) I did find this one: 2DF-83980-01-00 Yamaha Front Stop Switch Assembly $90.54 - AdeptPowersports. It is allegedly in stock, but who knows how accurate their inventory control is. Might be worth contacting them. If they have it then you would have to negotiate with your dealer about shipping and installing. If searching be careful you are looking for the upgraded part (the -01 in the part number).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts