Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might have seen my post about starter clutch going bad on my 1100. While at the dealer to price the starter clutch I started conversation with a guy closing a deal on a new Venture. His trade was going to be a 2006 Harley Electra Limited Classic. He said the dealer was working with him on the price of the new bike and couldn't match what he thought was fair on his trade. I asked him how much he needed for the Harley. The salesman came back before I got his answer and they walked away. Well evertime I go to the dealer I like to wonder around. My son and I were looking at bikes and deaming which one we wanted. Well the guy with the Harley came back over and asked if I might be interested in his bike. I have several friends with Electras and I like them just never really thought of buying one due to the cost. I asked how much, he paused, and said anything over 4k. I got my phone out, went to NADA. Prices were 7k to 9k. I walked over to look at the bike, 17k miles, chrome goodies everywhere, no rust, paint very good, nothing wrong that I can see. I asked him about maintenance records. He opens saddlebag and has ever receipt from dealer from when he bought it. And I mean every receipt. He has receipts for over 5k in chome goodies. I'm now extremely cautious now, why so cheap. I asked if I could ride it. He said yes. I told him I live less than 10 miles away and asked him if I could take it home to show my wife. He said yes and away I went. My son stayed there and called my wife. Got home and took wife for quick ride. She likes it. She is retired from the court house and called up there to run the VIN. Clean title. So I go back to dealer. The guy is there and wanted to the deal. I pulled my son aside and told him this is a great deal. He told me the guy is going to work offshore and wanted to do the deal today and dealer would only give him 4k because they came down on new bike price and already has several Harleys on show room and really didn't want another one. I offered him $4100, he hesitated, and said yes. We go to bank, then court house and I road it home. Now back to my 1100. It's at my son's and I will really shop around for best starter clutch price. I will use the 1100 as daily driver as always and the Harley for two up with wife. If it turns out I don't like it I can always flip it. After the deal when riding home it rained really bad. Can say it handled the wet pretty good.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I'll give you $4,200 for it :^)

·
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Let me think about that for a second, Nope.

How bout 4200.01?

congrats, man, that’s a sweet deal! Your 1100 is so nice it tried to apologize for the starter issue and “sent” you to the dealer where you ran across a good deal! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Streets dried up and went for quick ride, tad over 100 miles. Can't find anything wrong with bike. Super smooth at cruising speeds, decent power, low center of gravity. Forgot to mention, both tire only two weeks old, Michelin Commander. Only issue I can't flat foot it. It's a challenge backing it up, remember I'm very vertically challenged.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow....almost 3 inches higher seat height over the V-Star 1100 classic. Frankly, I don't like the looks of bikes with a trunk, hard bags, fairings, batwings etc etc. If I needed all that stuff, I would buy a convertible.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You might have seen my post about starter clutch going bad on my 1100. While at the dealer to price the starter clutch I started conversation with a guy closing a deal on a new Venture. His trade was going to be a 2006 Harley Electra Limited Classic. He said the dealer was working with him on the price of the new bike and couldn't match what he thought was fair on his trade. I asked him how much he needed for the Harley. The salesman came back before I got his answer and they walked away. Well evertime I go to the dealer I like to wonder around. My son and I were looking at bikes and deaming which one we wanted. Well the guy with the Harley came back over and asked if I might be interested in his bike. I have several friends with Electras and I like them just never really thought of buying one due to the cost. I asked how much, he paused, and said anything over 4k. I got my phone out, went to NADA. Prices were 7k to 9k. I walked over to look at the bike, 17k miles, chrome goodies everywhere, no rust, paint very good, nothing wrong that I can see. I asked him about maintenance records. He opens saddlebag and has ever receipt from dealer from when he bought it. And I mean every receipt. He has receipts for over 5k in chome goodies. I'm now extremely cautious now, why so cheap. I asked if I could ride it. He said yes. I told him I live less than 10 miles away and asked him if I could take it home to show my wife. He said yes and away I went. My son stayed there and called my wife. Got home and took wife for quick ride. She likes it. She is retired from the court house and called up there to run the VIN. Clean title. So I go back to dealer. The guy is there and wanted to the deal. I pulled my son aside and told him this is a great deal. He told me the guy is going to work offshore and wanted to do the deal today and dealer would only give him 4k because they came down on new bike price and already has several Harleys on show room and really didn't want another one. I offered him $4100, he hesitated, and said yes. We go to bank, then court house and I road it home. Now back to my 1100. It's at my son's and I will really shop around for best starter clutch price. I will use the 1100 as daily driver as always and the Harley for two up with wife. If it turns out I don't like it I can always flip it. After the deal when riding home it rained really bad. Can say it handled the wet pretty good.

Beautiful! Congrat's! :) BTW, I think you fit the bike, very well. May you and the Missus, travel many thousands of care-free miles upon her....I like the color...she's a looker! :)

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
...If I needed all that stuff, I would buy a convertible.
it is a convertible, all that stuff comes off if you want to ride at 60mph

but at 85 the wind force on you is twice what it is at 55, and it will wear you out on a long trip.

If you are going to ride two up on a long trip, you either config the bike for two, or you take two bikes.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats. Talk about right place at the right time! I really like my Road Star but if something like that (at that price) were staring at me I'd jump too. That's a comfortable 2-up machine.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
It's a beautiful bike and a great deal. I'm a little jealous...lol.

One question I have - looking at the pics I have to wonder about that fairing blocking your vision. From the rear view pic it looks like your line of sight would be right in line with the windshield bags (probably just the angle of the pic). I've never ridden a bike with one but that's always something I always wondered about.

·
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a beautiful bike and a great deal. I'm a little jealous...lol.

One question I have - looking at the pics I have to wonder about that fairing blocking your vision. From the rear view pic it looks like your line of sight would be right in line with the windshield bags (probably just the angle of the pic). I've never ridden a bike with one but that's always something I always wondered about.
The fairing does not block your line of sight. It does block some of your view directly in front of tire. I road it to work and found the following:

1. You are in a pocket of calm air at any speed. When I left for work at 5am is was ok as temp was 74. Coming home was hot, 96. There are adjustable wing vents on both sides fairing and vent openings on lower pods. I stopped and opened them up and helped a lot to get some air moving. I think I'll have to adjust the vents a bit more. Sitting on bike in traffic I seamed a little hotter. But at 96 it's going to be hot on any bike.

2. The bumps that normally bounced me on the 1100 was almost unnoticed. The ride is so smooth compared to the 1100. The rear shock on the 1100 is wore out and I'm replacing soon. But the Harley is really, really smooth.

3. Bike is heavy. Low center of gravity and as long as you are moving you don't feel the weight. But with my small stature this thing is a beast for me to back up.

4. I'm too short. I need to start wearing high heals ? or lower the bike some. Again, as long as I'm moving it's not an issue. But stop and go traffic today I felt like I was on one of my sport bikes from years past. Sadly the older body is not as agile as it used to be.

5. Power is decent. Low end torque is good.

6. Has the Harley shake at idle. Smooths out the second clutch is let out.

Hopefully I'll get the 1100 back up and running soon as it will continue to be my daily driver. But that will have to wait a bit. For now I'm having fun with the new to me Harley.

·
6,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took wife out for an hour drive this evening on the Harley. A good mix of Freeway speeds, 75 - 80, and easy 2 lane, 40-45. She said we're keeping it for our trips. But she likes the 1100 around traffic which Houston has plenty of. So it looks like I'll have the burden of owning both.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I would strip the 1100 down to a solo bike

wife will never be happy on the 1100 after a few more hours in that captains chair on the back of the HD

have you looked into lowering the bike / seat? Im sure that seat has a lot of foam in it...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts