Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not even seen it in person, just talked to the seller and had my cousin test ride it. Both claim zero vibrations from the engine in the normal operating range - hope they are right!

2007 CBF1000A with OEM optional luggage. One owner. 54000 km, or about 34k miles. Want more power than my 650 Deauville provide for sporty rides.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
Congrats, make sure you give us a detailed review once you get some miles on it. Sharp looking bike. 96 hp and weighs less that 500 pounds, going to fun!!

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
After over 40 years of riding Honda i can say they make great bikes. Didn't intend on that, first bike i wanted was a Yamaha enduro. Ended up with a Honda. Been peeking at yamahas but just never there when looking until i found my Classic. But i wasn't going to settle for another Honda this time. I do not have a bad thing to say about Honda. I also love my classic.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I generally do not have any favourite brand, but if put under pressure to name one, it would be Honda. Primarily because they made four-strokes when the competition were occupied making two-strokes. They also made four-stroke outboards when the others made two-strokes.

My first motorcycle was a Suzuki A100. It was crap. Well, it had been run into the ground in 5 years by abusive owners. After a few months I replaced it with a brand new 1980 Honda CB100. Bliss! Actually, it was likely a 1979 because by 1980 Honda had introduced the square style CB100 with a mechanically operated front brake disc.

Since then I have owned a number of Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis and Yamahas, plus a few Triumphs and a Tempo. When looking for a "new" bike to replace my Honda Deauville 650, I considered the Yamaha XJ900S Diversion (reliable as an anvil, shaft final drive, rubber mounted engine, but very heavy and geared to spin high) and the Yamaha TDM 900 (smooth running and flexible twin, long-ish travel suspension, but lots of play in the chain final drive) as well as the CBF1000. I ended up buying the latter because it became available with the correct (for me) luggage at a very decent price, but it could easily have gone Yamaha.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I agree. My list above was heavily influenced by me being very sensitive towards handlebar vibrations. Also, I wanted a bit of fairing for protection, luggage capacity, bolt upright seating position with heels below my hips, more or less, good suspension/ride, reliability, about 100 hp yet somewhat boring/lazy as to not tempt me too much into high speed riding.

This explains very well why I opted for the CBF. And why I cannot have something more aggressive.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plan was to take the train cross country tomorrow (Sunday) to pick the bike up and ride it home. We had a change of plans, though. Thursday, my brother bought a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, 2011, from a dealer 60 miles from where my Honda was waiting. So Friday evening (yesterday) at a bit past 7 PM, we set off in his Mercedes Vito to pick them both up. We drove until 1 AM, took into a motel, slept until 6.30 AM, got up and drove the rest of the distance to Oslo where we loaded my CBF before returning to pick up the Ducati at the largest dealer of the brand in Norway. With both bikes on board, all that remained was the 6 hour drive home.

Pretty happy it came out this way, as it was snowing quite a bit on Friday, with plenty of salt being used on the roads. Riding for 7 hours on salty, half wet, half dry roads would have been a chore, with dirt everywhere, especially clogging up the visor.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
Great that you finally got it. We need pictures, lots of pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts