Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I did a search (though this site is very slow on my computer) and didn't see anything specific. I'd like to install a brake flasher but I really don't want to splice wires. Has anyone tried this product from superbrightleds? It's just a simple bulb swap.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-strobe-modules/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-1-x-3-watt-high-power-led-w-brake-flasher/923/2274/

I know it's $20 but that's not bad if a) it's brighter than original and b) it offers a flasher when braking. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine flashes 5 times then solid

I bought mine in 2010 and I love it, it allows the jackasses talking on phone or texting while driving to see I am going to do something. Best I recall, only had to cut one wire.
Most important, when ANYONE follows too close for MY comfort I hold out my left hand and wave them to back off, 99% do, for the 1% I have had a chat with several, my statement is "ONLY ONE REASON TO FOLLOW A MOTORCYCLE THAT CLOSE IS--YOU WANT TO KILL THE MOTORCYCLE RIDER"
Case closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi there!

Not sure what you ride, but I just installed another version of the Kuryakyn run-turn-brake (RTB) controller on my '13 VStar 950. Works like a charm! It is a plug and play, no splicing, and installed in minutes. One minor setback- the original wiring is wrong. I found another guy on the net that had this problem but it's a simple fix. You switch the brown and blue wires in both ports and voila! It also has an optional flash tab- remove it and the brake lights don't flash. With it- it, and the blinkers, flash 3 times then solid. I have clear lenses and to meet code, you have the have red blinkers- just switch out amber bulbs for red ones.

It's a bit pricy ($80), but it DOES come with a load equalizer (doesn't say in the description so I bought one separate, returned it). Everything you need- works perfectly.

For the non 950s- I think unfortunately, they have the splicing unit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there!

Not sure what you ride, but I just installed another version of the Kuryakyn run-turn-brake (RTB) controller on my '13 VStar 950.
Thanks Linkster. I have a '05 V Star 1100. I forgot that I posted that in the general section. Thanks for the info. Going to try the bulb 1st as wifey said she would get that for Christmas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok received my LED bulb with brake flasher. Installed it. It appears to be at least as bright as the regular bulb. I have heard that filament bulbs get dimmer over time so not sure how this would compare to a new bulb. I do like the flasher feature. This bulb is red so since my plate is lit via this bulb thru a clear window on top, not sure what effect this will have at night but I'm pretty sure I won't be harassed here in South Carolina. So as of initial report I really like this and feel it's worth the price. If my opinion changes in the future, I will definately report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts