Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Brake light modulator plus LED license plate frame?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  skyking897 
#1 ·
I am considering adding a brake light modulator such as the Signal Dynamics Back Off and wondering if that provides enough of a visibility boost or if I should invest in the LED license plate frame as well. I have the stock brake light setup currently on a 950T.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

#2 ·
Why not both if it raises your visibility? I haven't done a brake light modulator yet. I did apply some reflective tape to the saddle bags and back of the sissy bar back rest. The tape I used is the same reflective tape applied to trailers. It comes in both silver and red. It can be trimmed with scissors. Will probably do the brake modulator next

I tend to flash my brake light under normal stopping conditions but it would be nice to not have to modulate the brake light manually.

#3 ·
i have an LED license frame from Kuryakyn and it barely lights up my license plate. don't count on that to add any great deal of visibility. the back off brake modulator is so people don't ram into you when you're slowing down. it's definitely worth it and i think the first mod i ever did on my 950.

#6 ·
I decided to keep it simple and just install the brake light modulator. I bought the Backoff XP which says it is compatible with all types of brake lights; so thought it was worth the few extra bucks for flexibility down the road if I change any of my lighting.

The instructions are a little vague in that they state "Cut and splice Module into brake light wire". Well my handy Clymer manual shows two brake light wires, yellow that goes to the brake light switches and blue which goes to the fuse box. Additionally it shows the blue providing power to the License lights. Right or wrong, I decided to try the yellow wire (which ended up being yellow / green on my vStar which scared me a little bit). I used male/female wire connectors for all my connections hoping that will be more durable as well as easy to change out if I needed to.

The modulator is installed and yellow wire seems to have been the right choice...or it didn't matter which one I chose.

Hopefully this will help keep the cagers back a bit during stops.

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and setup.

#8 ·
I picked up a kit on ebay recently. Has a 12 LED triangle shaped light that bolts to the top of the licence plate while the controller fits into the area behind the plate where all the wires are. I kept the original tail/brake light wired normal while the new LED light was wired to the controller. This new light gives plenty of illumination and one thing I've noticed is nobody pulls up close behind me at stop lights. It also has an added feature that you can install a momentary switch up by the hand controls so you can activate it to give anyone behind you a quick warning to back off. As long as you hold the button down it flashes. Under normal use it gives 4 quick flashes followed by 4 slow flashes then glows steady like a normal brake light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.