Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you followed my Anniversary ride where I bottomed the bike out on a creek crossing. All the rear lights quick working. In fact everything on the bike quick working except it ran and headlight worked. I drove over 250 miles home the next day like that. When I got home I used a mirror to look at the wiring under the rear fender and you could see where the tire had bottomed out with the wire harness between tire and fender. Didn't do anything last night as it was getting late. When I got home from work today I pulled the seat for a better look. Turns out when I bottomed out it pulled the wire harness enough that it came unplugged along with another plug under the seat. If you look at the picture you will see the hole where the rear lighting wire harness goes. It was the white connector you see that came loose. There's another connector below that which also came loose. I checked the wires under the fender and still need to repair them some. But the good news, I plugged the connectors in and EVERYTHING WORKED. On Sunday I'll pull the tire to totally access the wires but at least I know no major damage.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
might it be easier to loosen most of the fender bolts and swing it up? Thats how I change my rear tire, I have to swing the fender up in the air to get the wheel from under the fender. On my 650 its the passenger seat (or any saddle bags) the driver seat, and then four bolts out on the side rails, and loosen two into the fender, unplug the connector, and the fender swings up.

If you only take the wheel off, and you have to do any wiring up there with the fender in place, you will be standing on your head.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KCW, thanks, I might try that. It will be sunday till I can get to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repair complete. The tire only rubbed three wires down to the copper. The copper wire was not damaged. I was able to undo lower shock bolts, jack bike up and the rear tire dropped enough to reach wires. After thinking of best repair here's what I did. Cleaned each wire good. I was able to separate wires to work on them. I have some liquid electrical tape and coated each wire very good. Let that dry. Wrapped each wire individual with regular electrical tape. Then taped all wires together. Took the more liquid electrical tape and coated it again. The final protection was some wire loom. Hopefully all the different coats of regular and liquid electrical tape will lock out moisture and protect wires. I also moved the wire a little to the side as not to be as easily rubbed in future. If you look at the inner fender you can see pretty heavy rub marks. Bad on me, but I didn't realize it had been rubbing that much. Tire showed no marks from rubbing. I had lowed the bike two inches right after I got it which apparently is too much for big dips and two up. I changed the drop to only one inch when reassembled. Pictures are not very good as I was laying on my back working in tight quarters. All is back together and working. Total time for repair was about two hours, but did a lot of cleaning since I could get to areas normally inaccessible.

Looking up into rear fender.

Showing rubbed wires.

Finished repair.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how you going to break it to your wife,
the bike doesnt actually have a rear seat warmer.... ?
That's good one!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts