Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the problem... 04 V-Star 650 w aftermarket bullet brake lights and markers

So i have removed my from turn signals cuz they looked horrible on my bike, So now i have 4 bullet turn signals and brake lights in the back of my bike. I realized the other day the turn signals are working but the brake lights are not illuminating when i press the rear brake pedal or squeeze the front brake lever. But the brake marker lights, the other filament in the bulb works fine.

I check the bulbs, filaments are not broken and i checked the fuses, they were fine.

Any ideas

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am reluctant to reply because lights were removed, so something could be up with that.

I had a problem of intermittent brake lights that I chased for a while. I found that the solution by disconnecting and reattaching the connection(2 wires) at the hand brake lever.

Do you have voltage to the brake light? There is a connector on the side of the battery box - yellow as I recall, perhaps some clean up.....?

Ps I love your use of the word "illuminating". Too many people at work try to say the on light is off, or the off light is on...., etc.

larry

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Jut break out your DVOM and see if you get power to the lights with the brakes on. If you do, then check to see if you have power to the switches. Once you figure that out, you'll be able to start tracing wires to find the bad spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after not wanting to do exactly what i needed to do, i fixed the issue. Had to remove the seat, seat pan, and side pnls to expose the wiring. The crazy electrically taped up mess of wires i have imagined was the aftermarket brake lights, was indeed. So after digging thru that mess of tape wires and connectors from who knows where. The yellow wire was disconnected. Problem solved and crisis averted.

Thanks for the help, truth is... I was being lazy lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts