Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new handlebar on my bike I had to adjust some of the lines. The only funky looking one now is the brake line. I had to loosen the banjo bolt and aim the brake line up to the 9 oclock position because when it exited downward it cause a sharp kink.

With that said can you see any issues with this setup? The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is bleeding the brake system since bubbles may want to sit at the top.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can't "see" any issues at all. Got a pic?

When you say 9 o'clock do you mean from the seated position and the bike off the kickstand? That shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You don't have to, but, personally I would reroute it just because I don't like tight bends and stress at joints (banjo bolt connection to the brake line). There's nothing to fear, but if you keep the handlebars and ever consider new brake lines I'd select a line more appropriately sized for those bars (which is a bit ironic since most of the time the issue with new cruiser bars is lines are too short).

You could keep the loop from going up if you ditch the factory cable guide and relocate the hold down point. If you can move that point closer to the center of the triple tree you could get some of that tight radius out and maybe come straight out of the master cylinder instead of pointing up. Try it with some zip ties and see what you come up with. There are many cable clamps available in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now if I re route them should they be secured like they are from factory in the little clip with the rubber bushing or can they just dangle?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The lower clamp is important because it holds the line in place while the forks move up and down. The other clamps are to make it look good and stay kink and snag free. Stay in that zone of thinking and you'll be fine. A little rustling in the wind won't hurt it. Remember, it's a motorcycle. The parts are pretty rugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts