Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrggghhh! Season not starting off good. Yesterday, preparing to clean my bike, I sprayed the wheels down with spray-nine. A couple hours later, and before I washed it, I had to run up to the store (about 1.5-2 miles) to pick up something for dinner. Jumped on the bike, got what I needed and headed back.

Got out on the road and went about 1/2 mile and stopped at a red light. (up slight incline) Light changed and when I released the brake, I noticed the bike didn't roll back. Got through the intersection and bike started bogging down and finally, came to a complete stop with front wheel completely locked. Couple of good samaritans stopped and helped me get it off the highway. Sat for a few minutes waiting for a tow and noticed that the front wheel seemed free. Started and all seemed well. Got about two blocks from the house and locked up again. Fifteen minutes later, rode the bike on home and parked.

Left front rotor shows heat discoloration. It seems that the brake locked up when it got hot and released within a matter of 10-15 minutes.

Question: Do you think the spray-nine did something to the brake pads? If a caliper piston was frozen, wouldn't it stay frozen? What would cause the brake to lock after riding a half-mile or so and then free up when it cooled down? It's raining today so the bike is under cover (I live in a condo - no garage) Tomorrow I'm going to pull the calipers and check the pads and pistons but just wondering what would cause this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes; the front master cylinder was damaged last summer in an accident and was replaced along with the brake fluid. I'll know more about the problem tomorrow when I pull the calipers and pads.

I've thought about it today and it seems possible that the cylinder is sticking and very slowly releases. That would explain the fact that after a few minutes the brake frees up. I'm hoping a caliper rebuild will solve the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts