Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal on the Road Star for the brakes to make some noise when applied? Finally got nice enough weather to take my new RS out for a nice ride and test it all out since was too cold when I bought it...

While braking I notice some noise from the front brakes when they are applied...Its not a squeaking noise, more of a light growl type noise..They stop great and no chattering or shaking...Just make a little noise..

Any ideas? The bike is a 2001 and only 16k miles, so possibly pads just dry rotted?

Where is the best place to buy new replacement pads and whats the best brand? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the vstars have the same setup? My 99 650 I never noticed the same noise...this is only my second Street bike so not too familiar I guess...

·
Registered
332 Posts
My 650 doesn't make the noise. My Roadstar does and it can be a little annoying at times. You'll find they even skim the surface without applying the brake. It's hard to notice while rolling, but you'll hear and feel it if you put the bike on a jack and rotate the tire by hand.

My overactive mind tried to make it be unevenly worn brake pads, sticky calipers, warped rotors, or bad bearings. I'll give you the same friendly advice that was given to me.

Stop trying to create problems where there aren't any. Change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and just ride it. Lol. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts