Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace my front rotors. 72,000kms on the originals.

What is everyone using? OE? EBC? China?

Does anyone have any experience with Tarazon rotors found on amazon?

Im leaning towards either an OE set or EBC equivalent. They are relatively close in price. I can get OE for $230CAD each rotor, and the EBC's seem to run close to that price.

I will be using the EBC FA199H pads unless someone suggests a better set.

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
i'm still on OE after 90K+ miles on my 950. why is it "time" to replace yours? i thought they never needed to be replaced unless they get damaged somehow.

correction: i did have to replace my rear rotor very early on, like at 1,000 miles. because it got damaged, long story.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
there is a minimum thickness you measure with calipers for the rotors to pass inspection

and easy way to check them, hold a flashlight behind the rotor... if you can see the light thru the metal, it might be time to start looking around.

I think if you wanted to build a new 650 from Yamaha OEM parts, the bike would cost you about $50,000.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I dont think rotors are cast iron - they seem to be a nice chrome alloy steel. Ive never seen my rotors surface rust like a car, if I dont ride the bike for a few months.

The brake pads wear down the rotors. I think ceramic pads wear the rotors the fastest. Normally you can get at least two sets of pads on a brake before you have to replace the rotors.

On cheap car rotors the bulk of the metal is cast iron, and they plate on a better grade of steel just where the rotors contact the pads. Once that layer wears off, your rotors look like nothing but crusty rust.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Rotors can last over 100K miles or far less, it depends on how clean you keep them, the conditions during which you ride and the brake compounds you use.

Most common rotors are indeed cast iron but stainless steel alloys are also used as well as carbon-carbon, ceramic and other composites but usually in more exotic applications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured the rotors and they are at 4.5-4.6mm with some tapper wear. The pads are 1-2mm. If I'm not mistaken discard thickness is 4.5mm. The bike is ridden hard. I ride it to work on a really busy freeway which has lots of stop and go. Otherwise I would've just thrown a set of pads at it.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
another consideration for rotors, when you brake hard they get hot

on a racing car they get so hot they glow red.

the thinner the rotor gets, the hotter it will get, because the heat has a smaller path to conduct away...

and Im sure the heat increase is exponential with the inverse of the thickness - because everything that is working against you is always exponential.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Motorcycle brake question .... Using the front brake & under 5mph, it feels like the front is rocking like am I on a sea horse. Not horribly. Just enough. When I brake hard. It is fine. When I use the front and back together its fine.

Should i start with replacing ... All front pads > Front rotors > rebuild calipers > repair/replace front fork legs. (I have bled the from and rear lines.)

Or do you guys have another idea?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Make sure it only happens when using the break. Sounds like it's warped, and needs replacing, but only very slightly, or you would feel it at higher speeds.

Hmm, thought galfer made some, but seems they don't, must have been looking at them on a different bike.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Or do you guys have another idea?
clean your rotors with acetone. Be careful with the stuff, it will take the paint off your bike down to bare metal, and it will MELT your tires and anything made of plastic.

it would help to take the pads out at the same time, and if they look glazed drag them across some fine grit sandpaper to break up anything that is on the surface. I think you could also wipe them with acetone.

You should be able to see a warped rotor by putting the bike on a stand and spinning the wheel.

One other possibility - its possible you are just hitting the resonance of your front suspension if you brake just right - that could be a sign that your front shocks are getting soft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts