Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 roadstar, why would my front brakes surge when Im
almost to a complete stop they surge as if they were antilock?
maybe a bent disc or something?

·
Registered
146 Posts
That would be my guess. Did anybody wrestle around on the floor with the rotors on the wheel while changing out the rubber? I did that to a ST1100 that I had years ago.

Fat Strat

·
Registered
58 Posts
Runamuck, from your front brake description you definitely have a bent disc causing the surge you feel. Question is, are one of the discs bent or are they both bent? Unless you can determine this yourself with a trained eyeball and a fixed piece of wire or a dial indicator you may want to let your dealer check it. If one or both are bent you need to figure out how they got that way so it doesn't happen again. Are the discs discolored from overuse? Perhaps the last owner changed the front tire before he sold it and slightly bent one of the discs during the change? If this is the case you can usually find a ding or scuffing on the outer edge. If it's only slightly bent a good mechanic can actually straighten it if he's willing. Most dealers would prefer just selling you a new one. Just get it straight, make sure you have good OE pads and enjoy your ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts