Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several months of thought, and a round trip from Mobile to Daytona, I finally talked myself into getting the breakaway cruise control for my 950T. They hefty price tag always stopped me before. It came in the mail yesterday (paid $179 + free shipping). I want to ask if anyone has installed it? I spent the better part of the evening getting it on there, and still can't seem to get everything just right. Had to move my front brake master cylinder assembly closer to the throttle, add the extensions that came with the breakaway, and still can't get the throttle completely free when it's on there. Pluls it doesn't "click" into position. I have to use a good bit of thumb pressure to get it engaged. Free's up fine though. Used it this morning on my 25 mile commute to work (15 on the hwy), and other than the hard engagement, it works very well. Not as pleased as I thought I would be with it, but that may be because of the 3 hours I spent last night installing it, when all claims called for a 15 min. installation. Anyone else have trouble with thiers?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've installed one. You might have to extend the "throw" under the device. Look in the instructions. There's a screw near the bottom that you loosen, then lever the bottom plate forward until it clicks into place. You then tighten the screw. Let me know if you don't get it to work and I'll send you a photo of what I mean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I did just that, along with a few other "tweeks", and it seems to be smoother now. Great concept. Hope it lives up to it's reputation. Seems like everyone who has one agrees it was worth the investment.

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a breakaway on my 950 t and my wife has one on her TMAX we got them from our dealer for 199.00 ea and I had them install them both for 50.00 each.
Great product worth every penny.

Denis

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have a cruise control on my bike now but I will soon. There is a great one that goes where your thumb is and cams in place. I had one on my all of my bikes until this one and I still find myself flipping my thumb when I want to loosen my grip. Weird that muscle memory thing.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
i don't want any business with cruise control on a bike. cruise control in a car makes you more comfortable and less alert so i would imagine some of that would carry over to a bike. plus you have to hit your brake to disengage. sometimes you need to make a sudden move that requires you let off the throttle but not necessarily hitting the brake and this is one extra thing to have to think about. as for hand fatigue, i have a throttle boss that relieves a lot of the energy required to throttle on or hold the throttle steady and i get no fatigue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to "Biketoberfest" in Daytona this past weekend. Used the new cruise control and it was GREAT! I took the trip earlier last month and although tolerable, the 500 miles each way sure made a difference with the brakeaway! I was hesitant because of the fear of needing to slow down quickly, or get out of the way and not having to worry about disengaging the cruise control, but with 10,000 bikes on the road in Daytona, and 50 billion cars, I had to do some creative manuvering on several occasions. Each time I had to do so with the cruise control engaged, it was second nature to put my hand on the brake, even if I didn't need to actually slow down. Just tapping the brake disengages the brakeaway. I'm convinced it's a safe product. Very happy I got it. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally have it set up where it doesn't bind the throttle, and it "clicks" when engaging. Thumb release and brake release are working good as well. My question now is should you have to press that hard to engage? It seems like it takes a lot of thumb pressure to get it to lock in place. Also, how stiff do you have the grip once it is engaged?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I first tried on of these out a few years ago on a friend of mine's Vulcan Classic. Works great...just trying to justify the $200 cost! I keep hitting Craigslist, Ebay, etc....looking for a used one; no luck yet!

·
Registered
882 Posts
i don't want any business with cruise control on a bike. cruise control in a car makes you more comfortable and less alert so i would imagine some of that would carry over to a bike. plus you have to hit your brake to disengage. sometimes you need to make a sudden move that requires you let off the throttle but not necessarily hitting the brake and this is one extra thing to have to think about. as for hand fatigue, i have a throttle boss that relieves a lot of the energy required to throttle on or hold the throttle steady and i get no fatigue.
I used to think that same thing; cruise control on bike = dangerous.

Can't speak to the various models mentioned in this thread but, do have over 1,000 miles this summer on FLHTCU's which disengage be it a tap of either break control, clutch or throttle and, I'm of the opinion that anything that reduces any distraction, including a tired throttle hand, is worth looking into.

I use a cramp buster on my Strat and I've become adept at all sorts of ways of applying throttle input, palm, pinky, back of the hand, you name it and it helps but, it ain't the same as just letting the hand relax for a minute or two. Or five. Plus, when it's cold, it's nice to reach down for some heat more often as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I first tried on of these out a few years ago on a friend of mine's Vulcan Classic. Works great...just trying to justify the $200 cost! I keep hitting Craigslist, Ebay, etc....looking for a used one; no luck yet!
I tried doing the same thing for a few months, and finally gave up. I guess it's a good thing that you don't see used ones for sale!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts