Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm fairly new here and this is my first thread. I just purchased a brand new black cherry 950 tourer after months of sitting, riding and looking for the best deal, I pick it up next week. Anyways, I've never owned a brand new bike and was wondering what the best way to break in a Yamaha would be. I'm sure everyone knows of the two popular methods, ride it hard through the gears (Motoman) and change oil a lot or do what the manual says. I just want to do it right, you only get one shot.

thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have done the "Motoman" break in deal of speed up, decelerate on my last three new bikes including my new 09 Star 950.

I commute 120 miles a day, about half of that is high speed the rest is lane splitting 40-60 mph.

The first was a CBR 600 I put 67,000 miles on it with zero problems only oil changes, tires and chains.

Second was a Katana 750 which I just sold to get the 950 Star. That bike had 110,000 miles I did replace a cracked cam at about the 70,000 mile area. I don't think it had anything to do with the break in style but in fairness I have to mention it, other then that the normal lots of oil changes, tires and chains.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I asked the dealer when I picked up my new 950 Tourer this spring. Same boat for me, 1st new bike. They told me to ride it hard, but not to keep it at the same speed for much extended time. So far, 2000 miles later all is still great. Just keep oil and filters changed and all will be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did it by the book and I have no problems. All though, I too, am a new rider. Now that I have 1500+ miles on it though, we go on the freeway all the time. I guess it's all a difference in opinion. Go with what you feel comfortable with. That's most likely your best bet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The truth from all this is, It very well may not matter very much if at all how you break in your motor they seem to build them so well these days that you can pretty much ride them from the start the way you will ride them at 10, 20 or even in my case over 100,000 miles.

If you service them well (oil filters and the like) and don't twist the handlebars off you have a great chance of enjoying your new bike well after it is no longer new.

Ride On my brother~

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI guys.. .new to the board here....

I have a 950 as well, and I seem to hear a 'ticking' coming from the engine... almost like a knocking... any of you hear it as well? I have had a yammy in the past and didn't seem to hear this engine noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I will try a heavier oil next change and go from there.... but yes, the dealer told me the same. It sounds too hard/loud to be normal to me, but if thats the way it is, than i guess that's the way it is........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, looks like there are other YMF cross-posters here!

In reference to the "ticking". It's normal and is a trait of many of the engines in the Star line.

Switching to synthetic helps to quiet (but not get rid of) the noise.

As far as breaking in? I've ridden all my new bikes like I would any other day, but never to rough on them at the outset. Those rings seat pretty quickly. The most important part about breaking in your engine is making sure you get the initial oil change don ein a timely fashion. You will surprised by al the tiny metal shaving that will come out on your first oil change.

I switched to synthetic on my first servie oile change. Ticking wuieted WAY down. Of course, with the Thunder Air Kit and Cobra pipes I notice it even less!

·
Administrator
15,314 Posts
...not to keep it at the same speed for much extended time.
i was told this as well. the reason given was that, during the break-in period, if you ride at a constant speed with the throttle in a static position then it's likely to build up a ring of residue somewheres. can't remember everything said word for word, but basically just don't leave the throttle in one position for too long and constantly roll it off and on a tad if you're gonna be riding at one speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I breaking in my bike, I just rode like I'm suppose to be riding normally. I rode on freeway and local, I went as fast as 90 but not stay on the speed for too long. I've done this with all my cars and bike. I do not really baby my bike at first but I do change oil after 600 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts