Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

So here is the deal. I have another buffeting question, and I am not sure how to proceed. Looking for opinions.

I picked up an 09 1300 tourer and I LOVE it.

I do have some buffeting at higher speeds. Over 40MPH it starts but really doesn't get too bad until I get to 50-55+.

At highway speed I don't feel anything "slapping" or "hitting" me, but just a steady shake in the face and helmet area enough to slightly blur my vision.

Recently I took a ride when there was pretty strong crosswind, and every time a gust would come from one side of the bike or the other, it would disrupt the buffeting enough to see just how big of a difference it makes. My vision became crystal clear until that crosswind died down, causing the buffeting to return. I would love to get rid of, or at least reduce, that buffeting all the time. I have searched and read a tremendous amount on the net about it including this site.

I am basically looking for which direction to go first. I have looked at the Bucks Lowers, but I am not sure if they will make the difference, and at that price, it is an expensive trial and error. I also worry how it will fit around the highway bars. On his website it says something about requesting specific panels if you are using certain bars, but I don't know what brand my bars are, except that they don't look like Yamaha bars that I have seen in catalogs. I attached a pic or two if that helps anyone identify them. The second pic shows the clearance at full lock.

I have seen many recommend Memphis Shades fork deflectors, but when I called them they said that their product won't work with highway bars.

I have considered making my own, as I am pretty handy, and notching them around the bars for clearance when the wheel is turned to extreme left or right. Only problem with this is that I am not sure how nice aluminum will look next to everything else. I suppose I should stop treating it like a trophy piece. I picked up aluminum stock and 1/4" plexi (couldn't find actual lexan that thick), but I haven't started on it yet, in case I find a better solution.

I even read on some older forums that HD chrome lowers (part number 58121-85B) work well on 1300s, some even recommended mounting them reversed, but that part number doesn't seem to exist in their parts catalog now. I am guessing they just updated their part numbers and designs, but now I don't trust trying them.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone has a suggestion of what to start with I would be grateful.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For me the buffeting was so bad it was not rideable. I took the windshield off and will see about fixing it over the winter...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can tell you from experience, that when I put the lowers on my 1100 it was like night and day. The buffeting was gone. I found a set of NIB Yamaha OEM chrome lowers on ebay for under $30, so there are deals out there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I say add some lowers. Like skyking I have or had them on my 1100. No buffeting at all. Well once I added my highway bars I had to remove them. Now I am about like you but maybe not quite as bad. If I try to focus on something off in the distance its shaking like you described. It's not so bad I can't live with it but would sure like to have them back. Been trying to figure out how to modify mine to make them work but I believe I would have to trim them so much it would take away from their effectiveness.

Oh and stop into any glass shop and you can find some 1/4 lexan or Polycarbonate. But honestly if you use poly, 1/8 is strong enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I will check Ebay.

In the meantime I managed to get materials that I think will work and I am going to try to make some of my own lowers, using the existing shield mounts..

I am going to take pictures along the way, which I will post if it turns out good enough that I think anyone could benefit from them. Otherwise it will simply be an investment in learning the wrong way to do it!

I am hopeful that I can engineer this based on some info I've found online and adapt it to my needs. I am going to try 1/4" poly sandwiched between aluminum angle and aluminum flat stock, secured with SS bolts. I am also considering using some rouge to polish the aluminum up a bit. Still looking at shapes/dimensions for the lowers, and about sealing the aluminum. My thoughts are all over the place, but it gives me a project, and that makes me happy, since the forecast is nothing but rain for the weekend!

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you've got the time to burn, by all means, make your own.

For $170, on the other hand, ain't much. Plus you can return it and the only note of caution I saw for your bike was 'barely' touching a certain bar which, if you can build your own, certainly you can modify his.

I have a set on my Strat and it is much better but not perfect. They were fine to deal with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I spent the rainy weekend building my own with a few minor hiccups. By yesterday afternoon the rain stopped long enough to give them a try. At 50-60 there was almost nothing in the way of buffeting. At 70-80mph., I would get a bit here and there, but the vision was clear and I could read the road signs, license plates, and lettering on other vehicles with no trouble. It was very smooth, and very little head shake. For the $50 or so in materials I am very happy with the results. To be fair, I spent another $25 on a few tools to help (fine tooth jigsaw blade, buffing wheel for the bench grinder and rouge), but I don't mind adding to my tool collection. I also like working on projects with my father who came over to help out. It gave us some good quality time - neither of us are getting any younger.

I still have to dismantle them and polish the aluminum brackets up to a shine, but in principle they work like a charm.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. In the meantime, thanks to all for the suggestions and the advice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks. I spent the rainy weekend building my own with a few minor hiccups. By yesterday afternoon the rain stopped long enough to give them a try. At 50-60 there was almost nothing in the way of buffeting. At 70-80mph., I would get a bit here and there, but the vision was clear and I could read the road signs, license plates, and lettering on other vehicles with no trouble. It was very smooth, and very little head shake. For the $50 or so in materials I am very happy with the results. To be fair, I spent another $25 on a few tools to help (fine tooth jigsaw blade, buffing wheel for the bench grinder and rouge), but I don't mind adding to my tool collection. I also like working on projects with my father who came over to help out. It gave us some good quality time - neither of us are getting any younger.

I still have to dismantle them and polish the aluminum brackets up to a shine, but in principle they work like a charm.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. In the meantime, thanks to all for the suggestions and the advice.
Outstanding. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts