Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy Memorial Day folks,

I'm preparing to pick up my Star 1300 Tourer sometime in the next few days or weekend. Since I'll have a 250 mile interstate ride home, I wanted to order some lowers to prevent buffeting on the way home.

As for options, I notice there are Memphis shades lowers and fork deflectors (fork deflectors are larger), Buck's lowers, and Yamaha lowers (see http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/6570/Motorcycle-Article/Lower-Wind-Deflectors-for-V-Star-950-1300.aspx )

Which lowers have you found to work well vs. which didn't (I'm not tooled up to make my own). I don't want anything that I need to retrofit (drill, etc.) to make work. Any tricks to reducing buffeting (other than removing the windshield)? I've searched through some threads and notice some have tilted the windshield backwards, but I think that requires special drilling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had the Memphis Shade fork deflectors on my 2012 1300 Tourer. They work awesome. 80+ mph and hardly any wind turbulence. I had the stock windshield on. When I ordered mine the Memphis Shades site did not show that they would fit above a 2009 1300 if I remember correctly, but they fit perfectly. I also had the Yammy passing lights and they fit with them as well. Pull the plug, put them on, and you won't regret it.

http://www.memphisshades.com/application-charts/yamaha-app-chart/fork-deflectors

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Memphis Shade fork deflectors on my 2012 1300 Tourer. They work awesome. 80+ mph and hardly any wind turbulence. I had the stock windshield on. When I ordered mine the Memphis Shades site did not show that they would fit above a 2009 1300 if I remember correctly, but they fit perfectly. I also had the Yammy passing lights and they fit with them as well. Pull the plug, put them on, and you won't regret it.
Thank you!

I already have these fork deflectors from another bike (Suzuki C50T):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IH63F4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are these what you're talking about? I wasn't sure if these fork deflectors will fit any bike and it's just the mounting kit that differs from model to model.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep the deflectors are all the same. The mounting hardware is model specific. Memphis Shades has a terrible website as far as updates. They are still only listing that the deflectors hardware will only work on 2007-2009 1300 models. That hasn't changed since last year when I got mine. Half the links for Yammy products didn't work either. What a shame everything I have ever gotten from them is great.

Here is the Yamaha Application chart at Memphis Shades:

http://www.memphisshades.com/application-charts/yamaha-app-chart/fork-deflectors

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been looking to get some myself, but Memphis Shades/Parts Canada won't respond to any of my emails...def need them on my 1300 Tourer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was finally able to find a place to order them...thanks to this thread and the info provided by tigrzeye. Compatibility charts only went to 2009, so based on what was said here, I felt safe ordering the parts for my 2013 model since they worked on a 2012.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fork deflectors

I not sure how everyone else is getting such good results since I put the lowers on and still have an unsatisfactory amount of buffeting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I not sure how everyone else is getting such good results since I put the lowers on and still have an unsatisfactory amount of buffeting.
I installed a set of Yamaha OEM lower deflectors and while it's a 90% improvement, I still get some buffeting. At highway speeds, my head no longer feels like its being used as a punching bag from all the buffeting. Now, I'm getting hit in the lower chest/stomach area but nowhere near as hard as it was hitting me before. I can live with this. On a side note, the air flow has definetly changed, while riding with my light jacket on the other day, the air was pushing up under it and billowing it out, which it never did before. Kind of imagine I looked like the Michelin man all puffed up like that.lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
I installed a set of Yamaha OEM lower deflectors and while it's a 90% improvement, I still get some buffeting. At highway speeds, my head no longer feels like its being used as a punching bag from all the buffeting. Now, I'm getting hit in the lower chest/stomach area but nowhere near as hard as it was hitting me before. I can live with this. On a side note, the air flow has definetly changed, while riding with my light jacket on the other day, the air was pushing up under it and billowing it out, which it never did before. Kind of imagine I looked like the Michelin man all puffed up like that.lol
The OEM lowers are too short for best results. Check out the Memphis Shades fork deflectors. They are much longer and work better.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Try moving them around, I put a fairing on and wow did I get buffeting. I just turned them upside down and that was an improvement, I also lowered them an inch don't get as much buffeting now, amazing how a little change can make a difference. I am also going to make new shields for them, I find them a bit short thinking maybe a little longer would help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What have you folks discovered about placement of the lowers? Should they extend up underneath the bottom of the windshield, or is a small gap okay? Does the angle (tilt)!of them from front to back matter?

It's always a bit tricky working around those pesky turn signals.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The OEM lowers are too short for best results. Check out the Memphis Shades fork deflectors. They are much longer and work better.
Do you have a measurement on the length and width of those Memphis Shade lowers? These OEM lowers I picked up are 8" long but not very wide, maybe 4" at the top and taper to 2" at the bottom. I don't have much room for anything longer because of the passing lights and then there is the issue of them hitting the crash bar if they were much wider.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do you have a measurement on the length and width of those Memphis Shade lowers? These OEM lowers I picked up are 8" long but not very wide, maybe 4" at the top and taper to 2" at the bottom. I don't have much room for anything longer because of the passing lights and then there is the issue of them hitting the crash bar if they were much wider.
I did mine a little different. I used the Memphis Shades mounting brackets and made my own deflectors. They are 4.5" wide by 15.5" long.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Memphis shades are the best if you dont want to adapt or make your own. less then 30 minutes to install.
I have a 1300 with a Yami Med shield and Memphis Lowers, before the lower buffeting was HORRIBLE. With the lowers, I can go ANY speed and ZERO buffeting. A lot of my riding is interstate at 80 to 85 Indicated, never an issue for me or my passenger.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Here is the size info on the Fork Deflectors. They are different than the regular Lowers sold by MS. I had these on my 1300 Tourer with Yammy Passing lamps and the Lindby Multibar engine guards.

http://www.memphisshades.com/fork-deflectors

I agree with alarmguy, once I put these on 85+ on highway was a breeze or should I say lack of a breeze :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tigrzeye... thanks for the link. Those fork deflectors are completely different from what I was looking at. The ones I was looking at were about 6"X6" and about half that price. These look like they will do the job. Thanks again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here is the size info on the Fork Deflectors. They are different than the regular Lowers sold by MS. I had these on my 1300 Tourer with Yammy Passing lamps and the Lindby Multibar engine guards.

http://www.memphisshades.com/fork-deflectors

I agree with alarmguy, once I put these on 85+ on highway was a breeze or should I say lack of a breeze :D :D
Wish I had seen that before I bought mine!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts