Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went for work ride tonight, can i spend the time cleaning my bike as working time :) and i killed so many bugs the frogs are pi$$ed off at me cause they could eat for weeks on what i killed.

and i know best or good are different for everyone

okay real question what is the best bug cleaner for the windshield

best bug cleaner for the chrome and paint

and best chrome polish

·
Registered
422 Posts
If the bugs are really bad hang a wet t-shirt over the windshield to soften up the bugs and they will wipe off easier. To wipe them off use a micro fibre cloth or use the hose and bare hand. As for detailing there is no need for expensive cleaners or polishes.(I used to waste the money on that stuff) Lemon pledge will detail your entire bike, it will work on chrome , paint, plastic ect. Yes it even works awesome on the windshield(get the bulk of the bugs off first they will scratch) Use a clean micro fibre cloth that will ONLY be used for the windshield and nothing else. If you have some really stubborn grime on your chrome I use eagle one chrome polish wadding, it comes in a silver tin can and it is basically a big wad of cotton with polish in it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use meguiars quik detailer, doesn't harm plastic and will clean anything.
Spray and wipe...buff to shine with clean part of cloth. I live near water and we get lots of fish flies coming for the next few months... Big mess
Ride Safe

·
Registered
166 Posts
gotta be careful with pledge on the windshiels though....used to use it all the time until it discolored my windshield on my Vstar 650....

·
Registered
422 Posts
gotta be careful with pledge on the windshiels though....used to use it all the time until it discolored my windshield on my Vstar 650....
I have been using it for about 3 years now without issue , but I suppose it could. I also have only owned Memphis Shades windshields and other brands may react differently. It may also have to do with storage of bike and how much it sits in direct sunlight.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
went for work ride tonight, can i spend the time cleaning my bike as working time :) and i killed so many bugs the frogs are pi$$ed off at me cause they could eat for weeks on what i killed.
I use something called "Sparkle" as a cleaner. No ammonia, won't attack lexan. When it's all clean I use Pledge, Old English, WM store brand. They all do well.

Some folks over at the Goldwing Forum insist that it's gotta be Pledge. I've tried 'em all on three different flavors of bikes and it's all the same.

But for that showroom shine, Meguiar's New Car Gloss is the stuff...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but if you can smell pledge... some of the ingredients that they put it will discolor plastic.(can't remember whats in it TBI) But on painted surfaces, it seems to work great getting the light dirt and stuff off and leaving nice finish. I've used it on leather boots and shoes, to clean scuffs and dust them off.
Can be nice stuff, just be careful.
Ride Safe All

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Best thing you can use on the windshield is warm water and a little bit of dishwashing liquid. Dry with a microfiber rag (preferbly one without sand or metal chips on it - LOL)

The wet t-shirt is ideal for helping remove insect guts.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yamalube spray polish

I used Pledge in the 80's and early 90's on my Vetter Wind jammer with no problem.

If I am not going to wash the bike I use Yamaha Lube spray polish and detailer. Has a little wax and some cleaners in it does not scratch the windshield with a cotton cloth. Often keep a can in the bags to clean bugs off. If the bugs have been there for a while it might take a couple of tries.

I have used Honda Spray cleaner polish also. All of these worked well for me with no fine scratches in the windshield. I keep a micro cloth in the bag.

I spray it on fairly heavy to be sure I never wipe a dry windshield.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plexus and a microfiber towel. I've used it for years, cleans helmets, headlights, fork lowers - whatever. I take a can with me on all road trips, it's great for quick bug removal. I used to take a wet towel in a ziplock, but Plexus works better, and a can lasts me about a year. I spray it on and let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then the bugs just wipe off. It works on the windshield when it's on and the visor when I leave the windshield home, and I've never scratched anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. It comes in a spray bottle at the auto store for $5. Just shoot it on and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off. It works fine on the windshield and headlight too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts