Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had my headlamp off I was thinking of upgrading the stock bulbs. Is it worth it? If so what bulbs are the best and brightest for our liners?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Granted, I did it on a different bike, but in my experience don't waste your time or money on an HID kit. I've heard the PIAA bulbs are the best way to go and I'll probably go that route when it's time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went from stock to a PIAA xtreme white plus bulb. very happy with the brightness. was the first mod i ever did on my bike.
Did you do a back to back comparison? How much brighter are the PIAA's. The stock seem pretty bright. Also, do you ride with your low beams or high beams during the day?

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
Did you do a back to back comparison? How much brighter are the PIAA's. The stock seem pretty bright. Also, do you ride with your low beams or high beams during the day?
i didn't take before and after pics but there is a noticeable increase in brightness. the xtreme white plus is 4000K and i'm guessing the stock bulb is around 3500K. i don't use my high beams except on long dark roads

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just did a and PIAA switch and Ilike it a lot. The beam is a 6000K and adjusted the headliht up to where it should be, just inder blining the oncoming driver, and it like daytime. Easyinstall and good outcome. Can´t beat that combo

·
Registered
189 Posts
why not ?
Wish I would have taken pictures, but I put an HID hi/low kit in my last bike, and was very disappointed. Inconsistent beam pattern, the light just wasn't focused correctly it seemed. Looking head-on at the headlight, it looked brighter, and it would make street signs reflect brighter, but it lacked what you might call "definition" everywhere. It just didn't light up the road or surroundings well at all. Plus, I was constantly getting high beams flashed at me from oncoming traffic... It was disappointing because installation was a bit of a pain on the bike, and the end result sucked (in my opinion.) On top of that, I feel like the hid look is getting very played out, almost as bad as seeing aftermarket "euro" taillights on everything.
I found this article explaining it, and it seems to make sense. Now, you guys can swap in the hids if you really want to, but I won't do it again. You also have to consider the fact that there are more things to go wrong, what with ballasts, plugs, etc, etc.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can't get into the differences. Other then costs. PIAA was lot of light for the money spent to upgrade. Cheaper route is the sylvania's. But my opinion not as bright as the PIAA's.
I also did some switch mods that so far haven't caused any problems to the bike.
And light up the road when the bright light is switched on. As a lil dimple in the switch keeps the low beam on, but helps keep it from flipping back and forth.
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae142/bowhunter4265/Passing Lights Hi-Low Together/
Ride Safe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts