Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

Finally making the jump from my V-Star 950 (loving and keeping it for short runs in the town), to a 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe (red of course). None near me so this will be a 'fly-buy-and ride' back home. I'm looking at three bikes on dealers web sites and all have less than 10K miles. Going to make a final decision on which one (one dealer has not responded yet) by this Thursday. All the bikes look good on the web sites and my conversations with two of the dealers show a full service performed and the bike(s) are ready to ride.

Now, I'll post a separate thread on riding tips (it'll be the biggest bike I've ever ridden). However, is there anything I should be aware of when inspecting the bike beyond look, condition, tires, Etc? Are there any recalls out there I should ask the dealer to apply or check for? They've all agreed to have a tech walk me through the bike's controls and general operation so I'm not too worried about that stuff.

Going to download the manual and read up, also since I'm an android user, I'm going to bring a battery to USB connector to keep the phone charged on the ride back until I can figure out what to do about the Apple only features.

My thanks for any and all advice

Bob

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
To all,

Finally making the jump from my V-Star 950 (loving and keeping it for short runs in the town), to a 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe (red of course). None near me so this will be a 'fly-buy-and ride' back home. I'm looking at three bikes on dealers web sites and all have less than 10K miles. Going to make a final decision on which one (one dealer has not responded yet) by this Thursday. All the bikes look good on the web sites and my conversations with two of the dealers show a full service performed and the bike(s) are ready to ride.

Now, I'll post a separate thread on riding tips (it'll be the biggest bike I've ever ridden). However, is there anything I should be aware of when inspecting the bike beyond look, condition, tires, Etc? Are there any recalls out there I should ask the dealer to apply or check for? They've all agreed to have a tech walk me through the bike's controls and general operation so I'm not too worried about that stuff.

Going to download the manual and read up, also since I'm an android user, I'm going to bring a battery to USB connector to keep the phone charged on the ride back until I can figure out what to do about the Apple only features.

My thanks for any and all advice

Bob
Product Font Data transfer cable Output device Gadget

· Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
111 Posts
Reaction score

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strat Man,

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely going to look into this, been fighting some health issues so not much progress on redoing the electronics so this will work perfectly in the interim ( if I can find a good IPX6-7 rated screen, I think I'll be going with Open Auto). My wife surprised the heck out of me with a large resin printer for Xmass, so I have the ability to print some of the replacement dash pieces and slot a new set of electronics in there.

Thank you so much for this and that's why I love this place, it never stops giving :)
Bob

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
Strat Man,

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely going to look into this, been fighting some health issues so not much progress on redoing the electronics so this will work perfectly in the interim ( if I can find a good IPX6-7 rated screen, I think I'll be going with Open Auto). My wife surprised the heck out of me with a large resin printer for Xmass, so I have the ability to print some of the replacement dash pieces and slot a new set of electronics in there.

Thank you so much for this and that's why I love this place, it never stops giving :)
Bob
In the compartment door in the center of the fairing I hear the 2014 all came with the door so inside the compartment I installed the blue tooth receiver on the left side, on the right side is the USB charger with two plugs both have on switch push button and they are velcro to the top for easy removal when not in use they go to sleep and stop draining power and the door closes up while in use a slight notch in the top for your phone cord a small hole in the back corner in case of water 💧 after washing the bike. I use a 3 pocket windshield bag,
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
In the compartment door in the center of the fairing I hear the 2014 all came with the door so inside the compartment I installed the blue tooth receiver on the left side, on the right side is the USB charger with two plugs both have on switch push button and they are velcro to the top for easy removal when not in use they go to sleep and stop draining power and the door closes up while in use a slight notch in the top for your phone cord a small hole in the back corner in case of water 💧 after washing the bike. I use a 3 pocket windshield bag, View attachment 123756
View attachment 123754
View attachment 123755
View attachment 123753
BTW if you bought the stratoliner deluxe for the fuel mileage,,you bought the wrong bike. If you look inside the tank you will see the shoulder that goes over the frame you only fill up half way from the top of the tank to the shoulder I spoke of if you top off the tank DONT SMOKE !! It has a habit of spraying fuel out I purchased a new cap no change. Clearing vent tube still no change Yamaha said it was a poor design , 4.5 / 17 4 gallons is max 3.8 is less problematic
Font Screenshot Technology Gadget Multimedia

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
This will also fix your audio issues... this is what I bought for my 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe.

I hope 🙏 the best for you and your health, if you notice the grim reaper on my tank it's for good reason I touch it every time I ride, and say I hope you are ready for this try and keep up, meaning I don't ride fast and stupid, I am dealing with cancer and refuse to give up I don't live on the edge, I live my life,,enjoy your ride you will love it, it's a whole bunch of bikes rolled into one watch your fuel level 100 to 120 max or you walking 🚶‍lol 😆 BTW I hope you are doing well my friend,

· Registered
2005 Road Star Midnight, 2004 Royal Star Midnight Venture, 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe Midnight
111 Posts
Reaction score
Life is good, health is good other than the usual wear and tear items of a life hard-lived, multiple accidents, broken bones and subsequent arthritis and loss of flexibility. I probably have ridden red-line in most areas of life, and in the end you always have to pay the piper, nothing is free, the bill eventually arrives... but before the final bill comes in, I'm going pedal to the metal and let the chips fall where they may.

Very dorry to hear about your cancer situation... C is a bitch, the antidote is living large and happy. I wish you all the best and 🙏 for full recovery.

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strat man, Hoythcanon,

Thank you both for the info and the concern. All is going well and just 3 or so months before I can be exposed to any UV at all (even with sunscreen). Unfortunately the Marines didn't hand out sunscreen when I was younger and its come home to roost. It's a non issue re: long term health, just a temp pain in the tuchas playing vampire and starting to get a face that looks like hamburger.

However, the good news is, once it warms up here a little, nothing stopping me from working in the garage with the door closed. I love your layout for this and I had already bought the USB plugs. Once I get off my dead hiney, I can pull the tank, get the module off for Ivan's flash (the fuel cutoff and jerk as you reapply is killing me), and slot this stuff in until I can prototype the 'real' system I want to put in there. Other than that fuel cutoff, I'm over the moon on how she rides (previous owner took off the passenger seat and put on the Ultimate and sitting on her for the 1-2 hours it takes to ride her close to fill up time is a non-issue). As far as range, sheesh do I agree with you!. I love this bike, get her on the highway, twist the throttle and you're at speed and happy as a lark. She's so darn easy to ride at speed (still working on the low speed, not trying any two lane road u-turns yet), but just when you're into the zone, a great tune just came on and you look down and go <excrement!>, time to start looking for a station.

In another thread when I'd asked about riding her back from Chicago, everyone warned me I'd be risking fuel exhaustion at around 120 miles. I'd have to say, they were spot on. I guess its the price you pay for such a powerful engine, but I'd wished they would have found a way to eek one or more gallons into that tank. To champion what you alluded to, I carry a small LED (no sparks), flashlight I can just pop out, put it into my mouth while fueling, and carefully watch the gas level as it rises. It's way to easy in the wrong light to not see it climbing into the gas fill area and spill in a heartbeat.

Thanks once again

· Registered
111 Posts
Reaction score
Good to hear that your C is more annoying than serious... but disconcerting none the less. I have the Ultimate Seat on my Strat aswell... looking forward to putting some serious compression on it in the spring. Ride safe partner.

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hoytcanon,

I truly plan to. I still have the Star 950 and she's a hoot for running around town. However, I call Charleston home (about 4.5 hours staying at the speed limit), and family in Atlanta (about 6.5 hours), and I have some great plans to just stuff the saddlebags up and off I go for a weekend of fun. When I drove the Strat home from purchase in the Chicago area I went through West Virginia, Virginia, and the edge of the Appalachian's in NC. I have to be honest that cruising along at 70Mph with those views and just hearing the engine 'loaf' along was almost hypnotic. I've tried to explain it to the wife and kids (non of whom will go near a motorcycle), and either I'm not able to express it properly, or they just don't get it. The pure joy of feeling every piece of wind, the slight temp change as a shadow comes over you, the ability to lean and have the bike move with you (I know, counter steer), is not something I've experienced in any other mode of transportation.

Yes, there are risks in riding, but using modern safety gear and not riding like an idiot reduce it to something I'm willing to undertake just for the joy, The way I look at it, it's probably safer than a lot of things I've done in my life and I'm definitely done with the riding in shorts, flip flops and not even a T-shirt days :)

Bob

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
Hoytcanon,

I truly plan to. I still have the Star 950 and she's a hoot for running around town. However, I call Charleston home (about 4.5 hours staying at the speed limit), and family in Atlanta (about 6.5 hours), and I have some great plans to just stuff the saddlebags up and off I go for a weekend of fun. When I drove the Strat home from purchase in the Chicago area I went through West Virginia, Virginia, and the edge of the Appalachian's in NC. I have to be honest that cruising along at 70Mph with those views and just hearing the engine 'loaf' along was almost hypnotic. I've tried to explain it to the wife and kids (non of whom will go near a motorcycle), and either I'm not able to express it properly, or they just don't get it. The pure joy of feeling every piece ofwe wind, the slight temp change as a shadow comes over you, the ability to lean and have the bike move with you (I know, counter steer), is not something I've experienced in any other mode of transportation.

Yes, there are risks in riding, but using modern safety gear and not riding like an idiot reduce it to something I'm willing to undertake just for the joy, The way I look at it, it's probably safer than a lot of things I've done in my life and I'm definitely done with the riding in shorts, flip flops and not even a T-shirt days :)

Bob
Life is good, health is good other than the usual wear and tear items of a life hard-lived, multiple accidents, broken bones and subsequent arthritis and loss of flexibility. I probably have ridden red-line in most areas of life, and in the end you always have to pay the piper, nothing is free, the bill eventually arrives... but before the final bill comes in, I'm going pedal to the metal and let the chips fall where they may.

Very dorry to hear about your cancer situation... C is a bitch, the antidote is living large and happy. I wish you all the best and 🙏 for full recovery.
It is what it is, I don't let it slow me down, it's a hurdle in life. Living red line my self broken bones many crashes over the handle bar club.i just grab a gear and make it dissappear. About your Chicago trip. I ran it 3 times a week in a semi I was giving you tips the whole trip I believe I may have spoke to you at a rest area in Indiana, big red letters on a 53ft trailer and sleeper truck MTS on the side. Knowing where and what you were on you said you were heading to NC. I know the Carolinas well at the time I lived in Eastern Tennessee. I now reside in South Carolina myrtle Beach if ever get out this way look me up send me a heads up. I will be happy to show you around the beach area. You or any one else here for that matter, DAN.

· Registered
184 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan,

If I do get there, I'll message ahead of time and drinks are on me. When I grew up in Charleston, Myrtle Beach was our "let's go party" in the early 70's. Joined the Marines and haven't been back yet but have some very fond memories of the area. Consider me in, if I cruise down to Charleston, I'll give you a heads up and drop by there (then I can take the scenic HWY 17 instead of 95-26. Little scenery on those unless you count crossing the Lake Marion area. Hopefully we can make this happen sometime this summer and stay on the right side of the handle bars <grin> :)

Bob

· Registered
111 Posts
Reaction score
It is what it is, I don't let it slow me down, it's a hurdle in life. Living red line my self broken bones many crashes over the handle bar club.i just grab a gear and make it dissappear. About your Chicago trip. I ran it 3 times a week in a semi I was giving you tips the whole trip I believe I may have spoke to you at a rest area in Indiana, big red letters on a 53ft trailer and sleeper truck MTS on the side. Knowing where and what you were on you said you were heading to NC. I know the Carolinas well at the time I lived in Eastern Tennessee. I now reside in South Carolina myrtle Beach if ever get out this way look me up send me a heads up. I will be happy to show you around the beach area. You or any one else here for that matter, DAN.
There is distinct possibility I might get down that way in the next couple years. My Springer (Spaniel, not softtail)... is eleven and she likely only has a couple years left in her... the next pup is going to be a Boykin, and they were bred and raised in your neck of the woods.

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
There is distinct possibility I might get down that way in the next couple years. My Springer (Spaniel, not softtail)... is eleven and she likely only has a couple years left in her... the next pup is going to be a Boykin, and they were bred and raised in your neck of the woods.
Heck yeah give me holler I will give you my number. It would be my pleasure.sun and fun and great bike ride along the beach ⛱ 😎 less sun more fun. Look up Broadway at the beach. In myrtle Beach south Carolina it's a blast. Dueling pianos (crocodile rock) bring your dog for walks on the beach and wife of course. I have a garage for your bike if you bring it..

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
Dan,

If I do get there, I'll message ahead of time and drinks are on me. When I grew up in Charleston, Myrtle Beach was our "let's go party" in the early 70's. Joined the Marines and haven't been back yet but have some very fond memories of the area. Consider me in, if I cruise down to Charleston, I'll give you a heads up and drop by there (then I can take the scenic HWY 17 instead of 95-26. Little scenery on those unless you count crossing the Lake Marion area. Hopefully we can make this happen sometime this summer and stay on the right side of the handle bars <grin> :)

Bob
You got it 👍 we used to live at lake Marion in Eutawville sc.on the lake

· Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
660 Posts
Reaction score
That's funny Boykin is our state 🐕
Dog Dog breed Organism Carnivore Liver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts