Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Decided for the first time to buy tires online to save a few bucks. Bought a Shinko 777 rear tire from J&P for my 07 vstar 1100. Took the bike and tire to a shop owned and run by a couple dudes in my club. Got a call a couple hours later saying the tire had been wrapped so tight, they couldn’t get a good deal on it, and had to install a tube. He showed me a couple tires he had shipped to hi and they all had cardboard spacers in them, so that there was no struggle holding shape in the rim.

So, wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and if this is a Shinko issue, J&P, or just a byproduct of buying tires online 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
394 Posts
All of the tires I have bought from Rocky Mountain ATV MC have had the cardboard spacers in them.
Most of them were Shinko tires.

Reactions: MountainDrunk

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I got 2 Metzeler tires from J&P last year and they were fine. I have gotten trailer tires through the mail and one of them was all out of shape like something heavy sat on it for a long time. It was a treat trying to get the bead to seat. I had to use a strap for a bead expander.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
mine were just wrapped with alot of shrink wrap no spacers.They were wrapped so tight the beads almost met.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,733 Posts
I think your shop just didn't know how to deal with it. Or maybe lacked proper equipment to deal with it. Tires are mounted every day that require expanding the width of the tire beads to match wide rims. There are tire straps to deal with it, and there are also air blast tanks that deal with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think your shop just didn't know how to deal with it. Or maybe lacked proper equipment to deal with it. Tires are mounted every day that require expanding the width of the tire beads to match wide rims. There are tire straps to deal with it, and there are also air blast tanks that deal with it.
They specifically mentioned using the blast tank to no avail. These are some seasoned, well-equipped dudes. They’ve both been working on bikes for decades

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
we had one on the farm just a round metal strap with a crank handle on it,

·
Registered
2012 v star 1300 tourer
69 Posts
I've ran many a shinko and never had a problem with one, other than they don't last more than 4,000 miles for me. You should probably find another shop. Especially one that won't make choices like that without calling you first. I can't believe they would just stick a tube in there and call you later. Yikes

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I've ran many a shinko and never had a problem with one, other than they don't last more than 4,000 miles for me. You should probably find another shop. Especially one that won't make choices like that without calling you first. I can't believe they would just stick a tube in there and call you later. Yikes
I always bought Shinko on the front of the FX's I liked the way they would track strait with a heavy rib down the center of the tire.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I usually bought dunlop for the rear they have full tread across the center and we used do alot of dirt road and cow path riding need that center tread. View attachment 110068
I found this old pic of an adventure. The road was so steep my buddies 01 softtail kept cutting out because of the tilt switch. We used to use em good.
Plant Tire Wheel Plant community Vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all! Decided for the first time to buy tires online to save a few bucks. Bought a Shinko 777 rear tire from J&P for my 07 vstar 1100. Took the bike and tire to a shop owned and run by a couple dudes in my club. Got a call a couple hours later saying the tire had been wrapped so tight, they couldn’t get a good deal on it, and had to install a tube. He showed me a couple tires he had shipped to hi and they all had cardboard spacers in them, so that there was no struggle holding shape in the rim.

So, wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and if this is a Shinko issue, J&P, or just a byproduct of buying tires online 🤷‍♂️
The DUDES need either some training, or someone with a McGyver gene. I've seen instances where an airband (common tire shop tool) needed to be put around the tire and then many attempts but eventually had success..Tubes in a tire or on a wheel designed to be tubeless isn't good. It can cause stresses to the sidewall in the wrong places. Just my opinion as a 45 year rider and rodder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts