Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have after-market short shots on my bike. I had a buddy who assisted me with bypassing the AIS (putting a golf tee in the one hose while U'ing the two down by the front wheel) and now the bike seems to run extremely sluggish. I did notice backfiring when I started stopped and most of the decel popping has stopped but at an idle.. it just wants to die.. I usually have to ride with choke out to keep it from dying at an idle. Does anyone know why this may be? I haven't installed the V&H jet kit yet (have it but local shop said it probably didn't need it) and they said they checked the jets whenever I brought it in a few months back for my 12k maintenance. I am worried that there might be something wrong or there might of been something I missed? I tried to revert it back to normal but getting that golf tee out is a PITA and decided to just check all the connections and make sure everything was hunky dory. Where I put the golf tee in was up by the fuel petcock.. there is a small clamp.. take that clamp off, seperate the two hoses and put the golf tee in.. Thanks for all assistance! By the way I live in Arizona and they don't require emissions testing for bikes anymore so the AIS for emissions is a non-factor. The bike is a 2007 V-Star 650

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive noticed that if I keep the choke out a tad... she runs like a charm.. but it is SO sluggish and actually will die if I am stopepd at a light...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Ive noticed that if I keep the choke out a tad... she runs like a charm.. but it is SO sluggish and actually will die if I am stopepd at a light...

I'd go back and put it back to stock and try it again. You did something wrong. My guess is that you induced a big vacuum leak. Adding choke (which just drops fuel straight into the intake) is offsetting the vacuum leak enough to get the bike to run.

This is a very simple thing to do and should not cause any change in performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts