Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A civilian coworker, Derek, approached me at work stating that he knew I tinkered with motorcycles. He asked if I was familiar with cafe racer's as that's his favorite bike. I assured him I did, especially being a native socal boy.
Derek is one of the nicest guy's you'd ever meet, and gave me his cafe racer project as he said the hip and knee issues he was having would make it nearly impossible to ride. It's not a yammy, but it's as close as you can get in my opinion. It's a 78'Honda CB550FOUR, and it's all there. So what do you all think? Cafe racer, or factory resto? I have the cruiser, and 60% finished with the bobber project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A civilian coworker, Derek, approached me at work stating that he knew I tinkered with motorcycles. He asked if I was familiar with cafe racer's as that's his favorite bike. I assured him I did, especially being a native socal boy.
Derek is one of the nicest guy's you'd ever meet, and gave me his cafe racer project as he said the hip and knee issues he was having would make it nearly impossible to ride. It's not a yammy, but it's as close as you can get in my opinion. It's a 78'Honda CB550FOUR, and it's all there. So what do you all think? Cafe racer, or factory resto? I have the cruiser, and 60% finished with the bobber project.

Cafe racer for sure! :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yeah....it's up to you. If it was a strictly financial deal....then check around prices for restored ones and see what they go for. The cafe' would hold some value as well...but not nearly as much in the long run as one restored to factory stock.

If the financial side isn't a big deal....follow your heart...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm a sucker for those older honda cb and yamaha xj bikes in origional form. Had a 82 cb750 for my first bike, loved to 4 into 2 pipes on each side look of the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely will, harbor freights had their powder coating kit on sale, $100 off, so I used some of my recent overtime and got one yesterday afternoon. It had good reviews. I'm going to use it on my bobber project, then on the freebie bike. Now I've got to name the freebie, lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can't go wrong with stuff on sale at harbor freight, lol.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yea, Harbor Freight has some good deals. I wanna get their tire changer. Let us know how it works. Ok, so what did ya name the other 2? You've never mentioned them by name. I only ask because "The Beast" is already taken, as that's what I call mine. lol And my quad is "Bertha". Look forward to seein how it turns out. Reminds me of my old CB750.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm going to change the bobber name from 'bob', to rattle can since I've painted it all by rattle can spray paint. The Honda I'm thinking of naming it cally since I first learned to ride out west as a kid. Of course the Honda name could be changed without notice, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah it's a 12" shield on the batwing. I changed my avatar pic to resemble the bobber build I'm doing on my Virago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts