Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone camped with their bike? We are trying to figure out how to pack the bikes. He has a backseat and luggage rack on his bike. We normally put the suitcase on his and then an extra bag on the passenger seat. Then on my luggage rack we put our change out gear (rain, night goggles, differnt weight gloves, etc). In his saddle bags goes our leathers.

What we have never packed before is the tent, sleeping bag, or mats. How have you packed?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Several times my dear.I pack 2 bed rolls,2 mummy bags,tent,2 bag chairs,food and drink in my saddle bags.Tie on a small cooler.The wife carries the clothe bag on her fender rack.I carry LED headlights for the both of us,small LED lantern,Knife,cork screw and bottle opener.If we camp in a primitive camp site I also take along a single burner that screws on top of one those small propane bottles.This is only good for 1 to 2 nights.Can't pack enough food and beer.We kinda look like the Beverly Hill Billies rollin down the road but it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I am impressed. Our leathers pretty much max out the saddle bags. This is for the Run for the Wall ride so we ride rain or shine. I was thinking about doing one sleeping bag in a water proof bag on the front forks of my bike. They hit rain leaving CA last year then 113 degrees in AZ & NM. The northern route in AZ hit snow. We dont need to take any other cooking gear since we eat as a group of 300. How the heck do you fit two sleeping bags and rolls and tent in your side bags. Does that include her sidebags so a total of four?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I tie all the bags,tent,bed rolls and chairs to my passenger back rest and seat.Yes my wife has saddle bags also.Like I said we look like hill billies rolln down the road.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sorry I just looked for a pic but it's on my other computer.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
The pic is not really tongue-in-cheek (although the cooler is a little extreme). Many riders (myself included) strap bulky but lightweight items such as sleeping bags and tents to sissy bars. Some folks install sissybars that are 2-3' high solely for that purpose. And some folks invest in hammock-tents so that their sleeping and shelter needs can be consolidated in a single item:

http://www.backcountry.com/hammock-bliss-sky-tent?CMP_SKU=HMK0007&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=HMK0007-ROBLUNET-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=4B9CA7E6-5B42-E111-9FB4-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:adType=pla

Remember the bike is not a pickup truck and load your heavy items low. Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The feed back is great guys. I attached a photo of how we normally load up. Again we have to make sure we are water proof becuase the pack does not stop for stinking rain or snow. We try to keep me pretty light on load since I am a new ride. He keeps saying my next bike WILL have bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Belive it or not that is my rain gear, our face masks, night google, heavy sets of gloves, my neck gator and usually a snack bar and water bottle for me. We usually stay at my timeshares so we have a washing machine in our room so the clothes part is usually simple. I was thinking of adding the driver seat back rest then I could add a piece of luggage instead of that little bag.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've seen advertisements for some very attractive trailers...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish I could find the picture of my trip across country. It was a few years ago. Back then I was riding a 1997 Honda CBR600f3. I was leaving Vegas head to my parents in Delaware. 2800 mile each way. I had a set of soft saddle bags, a tail bag, tank bag, and a backpack stuffed full. The tires I had on the bike didn't have a lot of life either. I strapped on the bags, and bungy corded the back pack to the tail bag. I had already bought new tires, but didn't,t want to wear them out going there. I strapped my spare tires over the saddle bags and headed east. It was quite a sight to see.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 16 of 16 Posts