Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, lately I’m noticing, I can not go passed 85 miles an hour without my fuel cutoff or speed limiter kicking in.. and it bothers me. I ride with a MC and in certain situations I need to speed up but I can’t and it takes me a billion years to catch up. I need help solving this issue :(.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,418 Posts
Top speed of an 1100 is limited to 94 mph from the factory. This is done thru feactory rev limiter being set at 5000 rpm. If you can only reach 85, you are possible running lean, weak coils, old plugs or other issues. Can you remove plugs, post picture and we can help you read the plugs for running lean. Below is gps of my 1100, windshield on, riding two up. This is when I would hit rev limiter. Unfortunately, if you want more, without spending a ton of money, might be time for another bike, the 1100 is a mid weight cruiser.

Reactions: robbyk and madmax93

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a brother from the club mentioned probably a coil issue. I hit the rev limiter at 85 and it sputters. I can’t go faster than that. I’ll see what’s up. I put my hand at the tend of each pipe to see if any difference in firing pattern.. the front cylinder fires consistently, the rear does not.. why could that be?

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,195 Posts
Describe what the bike is doing, or what you are feeling, when it reaches 85. Do you feel the engine cutting out, or is it just an overall lack of power?

·
9,418 Posts
a brother from the club mentioned probably a coil issue. I hit the rev limiter at 85 and it sputters. I can’t go faster than that. I’ll see what’s up. I put my hand at the tend of each pipe to see if any difference in firing pattern.. the front cylinder fires consistently, the rear does not.. why could that be?
Plug, plug boot, plug wire, coil, wires going to coil, fuel flow issue, float set wrong, main jet partially clogged, vacuum leak, vent hose issue, exhaust leak, valves out of adjustment, low compression to name a few. Pull both plugs and post picture for us to help.

Reactions: madmax93

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
496 Posts
Top speed of an 1100 is limited to 94 mph from the factory. This is done thru feactory rev limiter being set at 5000 rpm. If you can only reach 85, you are possible running lean, weak coils, old plugs or other issues. Can you remove plugs, post picture and we can help you read the plugs for running lean. Below is gps of my 1100, windshield on, riding two up. This is when I would hit rev limiter. Unfortunately, if you want more, without spending a ton of money, might be time for another bike, the 1100 is a mid weight cruiser.

View attachment 97901
Which App is that Les?

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Describe what the bike is doing, or what you are feeling, when it reaches 85. Do you feel the engine cutting out, or is it just an overall lack of power?
Hits rev limiter if I give it more throttle it only goes 90 when I’m going down hill.. that doesn’t make any sense to me my 250cc hyosung can go 100 mph how does this 1065 cc bike not go passed 85?? I’m also pretty small, 5’6” 150 pounds..

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
496 Posts
Hey guys, lately I’m noticing, I can not go passed 85 miles an hour without my fuel cutoff or speed limiter kicking in.. and it bothers me. I ride with a MC and in certain situations I need to speed up but I can’t and it takes me a billion years to catch up. I need help solving this issue :(.
Something is definitely wrong. I have a 650, at times I can do 88. Sure, she sounds loud but no problem in that department

·
9,418 Posts
Which App is that Les?
The app works really good. I was having speedometer issues and used it for months.

Hits rev limiter if I give it more throttle it only goes 90 when I’m going down hill.. that doesn’t make any sense to me my 250cc hyosung can go 100 mph how does this 1065 cc bike not go passed 85?? I’m also pretty small, 5’6” 150 pounds..
Does appear you are about 10% low, but remember, V-Twin, cruiser, gearing for cruising and not designed for top speed runs. Might not seem right and took me a while coming off sport bikes, but it was designed for cruising and being an extremely reliable bike.

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The app works really good. I was having speedometer issues and used it for months.

Does appear you are about 10% low, but remember, V-Twin, cruiser, gearing for cruising and not designed for top speed runs. Might not seem right and took me a while coming off sport bikes, but it was designed for cruising and being an extremely reliable bike.
Thank you for the info but I’m in a MC and we push our machines to their limits. I’m rolling around with Harleys 1600cc+ I want to be able to tune this thing as well as possible and get the most out of the 1100 as possible. Any performance mods and tweaks I can do to get that performance I’m looking for is much appreciated for sure. I don’t have money to purchase a Harley for now and want to make the most of this bike as possible. I’ve seen some guys with these bikes passing me on the freeway lol it’s not a good feeling knowing that my bike is not performing up to par. I will check the plugs and take pictures later today

·
9,418 Posts
My 2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide has a limited speed of 105, and that's it, from personal experience. My Vstar 1100 is only a tad slower. The Harley does get there faster but if you do the math, 1450 cc verses 1100 and only 10 percent faster. Unless you change ECM, you can't override the rev limiter on the 1100. With pods, full performance exhaust, jetting, cam and head work you can make it quicker to accelerate, just not faster top end. If you are serious about power, do pods and full exhaust, tune to perfection, then bob it out getting rid of all extra weight not needed. That's the best bang for the buck. But the best thing is to use the bike bike what it was designed to do, cruise. I drag race a lot, you don't take a four door cruiser car to the drags and expect it to beat a Mustang or Camero. So, maybe you should check out a Vmax or Raider, seems like that's what you are really looking for. Anyway, just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,195 Posts
I'm not convinced you are hitting the rev limiter. My 1100 has no problem hitting 95 and more. I'm not sure where Les got the 94 mph limit value (and I know better than to doubt him), but I can definitely do considerably more than that.

So I think you have tuneup issues. You already noticed that the cylinders are firing unevenly. Question is what is causing that? It is either fire or fuel. I'm betting fuel, as in one carb not flowing properly. Even carb sync can cause what you are seeing. Carbs out of sync at lower RPMs you don't feel much. But at top end where you NEED both cylinders to contribute their full share of the load, you will feel it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I got the Strat up to 115 mph Monday coming back from mom's, a bunch of idiots in big trucks switching back and forth in the lanes. ( that was a new high for me on that bike)

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,195 Posts
BTW, I am about 230 and have a full windshield.

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not convinced you are hitting the rev limiter. My 1100 has no problem hitting 95 and more. I'm not sure where Les got the 94 mph limit value (and I know better than to doubt him), but I can definitely do considerably more than that.

So I think you have tuneup issues. You already noticed that the cylinders are firing unevenly. Question is what is causing that? It is either fire or fuel. I'm betting fuel, as in one carb not flowing properly. Even carb sync can cause what you are seeing. Carbs out of sync at lower RPMs you don't feel much. But at top end where you NEED both cylinders to contribute their full share of the load, you will feel it.
I am on board with you for sure. I feel the same. I’m trying to figure it out. I have topped out at 115 when I first got the bike. A week later this started happening. I think it is an electrical issue and maybe the person who cleaned my carbs did not sync it but I will try a couple things because it’s stupid. Sometimes I have to speed up to pass vehicles who are driving like idiots and it is not safe for my bike to just to top out at 85.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,195 Posts
I get it. It isn't like you want to cruise around at 100 mph with your MC club. But there are times when you need to catch up, or pass, and you need it to be there. I probably hit 95 for a moment on just about every road trip.

·
Registered
2006 VSTAR 1100 Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get it. It isn't like you want to cruise around at 100 mph with your MC club. But there are times when you need to catch up, or pass, and you need it to be there. I probably hit 95 for a moment on just about every road trip.
Yes, exactly. I’m a prospect so I’m all the way in the back and catching up is a pain. My 250 was faster on the freeway. I need to figure this out ASAP.

·
9,418 Posts

When I quoted my top speed, remember that was two up with windshield and loaded down on a trip. Horsepower is not the issue, rev limiter is. Good call on syncing carbs. Also check the TPS sensor, it could not be functioning correctly and adding too much timing or not enough. I might be sounding like I'm negative on this, I'm not at all. Just stating personal experience back up by published documentation. Another think to remember, OEM speedometers read low, Google it if you doubt, but my 95 mph on the 1100 the speedometer read 105 to 110, I had a hard time actually reading it, I was busy o_O .

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,195 Posts
Les, do you happen to know how the rev limiter is implemented? Does it cut fuel via the carb solenoids? Does it cut spark? I don't believe there is any form of tachometer on these, but the ignitor would be able to sense RPM's.

Anyway, the effect of cutting fuel via solenoids, versus cutting spark via ignitor, seems to me would feel quite different.

As I commented recently, I was at 102 a couple weeks ago, and the fuel cut out. But I was also about out of fuel. My speedo is dead on. I wish I had been running my GPS speedo that morning. But I run it enough to know my speedo is accurate. I know many of them are not.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts