Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 1100 Classic with a Memphis Shades windshield. I'd like to lower the windshield a couple of inches to fill in the gag over the headlight but don't see how with out some major remodelling. All brackets are direct fit, no adjustment other than being able to slant the windshield back some. The frame brackets mount under the headlight pod and where the signal arm bar mounts. No multiple holes or movement of any kind. The brackets on the windshield itself are only able to move up or down one bolt hole which would be about 4" and that would be too much. Anyone know if it can be done or am I stuck with it where it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like your bike does not have the stock 1100 classic headlight. If it did there wouldn't be the gap. Someone with an 1100 can chime in. Kinda looks like the smaller size light off a custom. I don't know how much a new or used stock headlight would cost. It'd get rid of the gap.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looks like your bike does not have the stock 1100 classic headlight. If it did there wouldn't be the gap. Someone with an 1100 can chime in. Kinda looks like the smaller size light off a custom. I don't know how much a new or used stock headlight would cost. It'd get rid of the gap.
Ditto! Just what I was thinking.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yeah....definitely not a stock headlight. You could try to modify the existing bracket, or get a Custom windshield, or get a Classic headlight. Either way should take care of the problem...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, it's not a stock Classic headlight, in fact not even a custom. The original windshield had an opening for a 9" headlight and when I replaced it I ordered one for a 7" headlight to help fill in the space. Long story short, I bought this bike in a box, dismantled. The guys wife had had enough and told him to sell it. That headlight was part of the boxes of parts. Anyway, it bolts right in the stock bracket and the wiring plugs right in it. And as you can see the space over the headlight, I'd like to lower the windshield to about 1/2" away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't believe moving the headlight is an option. It would just snowball with one change after another. The brackets for the windshield and the headlight all bolt together just under the headlight pod. Besides that, the bracket for the headlight is saucer shaped with 3 bolts into the headlight pod. You might be able to space up two of the bolts but I doubt you would ever get a third one fastened.

And someone else suggested just drilling new holes in the windshield to lower it. Great idea if you don't mind a windshield with a bunch of visible holes in it when you are done. (might have been on a different forum) What do you do about the original holes that are no longer used and the ones the horizontal flat bar no longer covers?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That is definitely not a stock headlight for the 1100. The only thing I would suggest to close the gap is to make a seal from sheet rubber and glue it to the backside of the windshield.
I would do this but use Lexan as opposed to rubber. Since your w/s is black in that area you can paint the filler piece to match and the paint will also hide any glue used to join them together. Once complete I would wager it would be hard for the untrained eye to even notice the separate piece.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And someone else suggested just drilling new holes in the windshield to lower it. Great idea if you don't mind a windshield with a bunch of visible holes in it when you are done. (might have been on a different forum) What do you do about the original holes that are no longer used and the ones the horizontal flat bar no longer covers?
So that's two holes at the bottom on each side and however many were used to hold the horizontal bar, right?
If you consider going that route, just put matching (but shorter) bolts and nuts in the holes.
I don't think it will look bad at all.
You could also install (bolt or surface stick on) some very serious but extremely inexpensive small eagle-eye LEDs.
Here's the link. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-wired-bolts/
I think matching bolts for the "horizontal bar" holes and two of the 12mm 50LM in black @ $4.95 each for the lower holes would look downright awesome.

Otherwise, you could start watching CL and Ebay and ask around the forums for anyone having the original headlight assembly complete with bulb for a reasonable price.
There are a few bike salvage yards out there too.
I saw what looks like the light you have in there on Ebay for $34.?? plus shipping, but there's currently no complete OEM lights for your bike listed.
I would imagine a brand new original is usually going to be pricey.
I've watched listings for more than a year to get steals on stuff on my bucket list quite a few times, but that's me.

Question is, how far can you lower the shield with this method before you hit your forks?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, IT'S DONE! THE WINDSHIELD HAS BEEN LOWERED!!!!

First picture is before and second is after lowering the windshield 2".

Third shows the fork deflector before and 4th after lowering it 3". Also made a new upper bracket to install the deflector.

5th picture shows the windshield lowered on the quick dis-connect brackets and an additional angle bolted at the 3rd bolt down to secure it. I added a flange to the 4th bolt down to keep the curve of the windshield.

Just came back from a 30 minute test ride. After lowering the windshield 2" my head is still in calm air while at highway speed. I raised my hand in front of my face and it is calm until about 1 1/2" above my helmet. Now to take it all back apart, clean everything up and paint it. AGAIN.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks great. Nice Job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts