Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm doing some work on my bike and totally learning as I go - if it wasn't for the help I'm getting from folk wiser than this Brit I'd be sunk.

I've removed the stock exhaust from my V Star 1100 Custom and finally got to a side panel I've been wondering about for a while. It's on the right side of the bike, directly below the battery panel and only accessible with the exhaust removed. Here's a photo -

My questions are -

1. What's the blue plug for (hanging at the bottom of the photo)? The cable fits into a little channel beneath that grill thing (what is that??) to that empty black compartment on the left. Looks like you can put something in there and hook it up to that blue plug. Any ideas?

2. What is the silver tape for (directly below the battery)? It looks stock but I'd love to remove it as my side panels are now black and this tatty silver tape is visible between them. Can I get rid of it?

Thanks a million as always!

·
Registered
80 Posts
the grill thing is the regulator & rectifier (very important)

the silver is just heat shielding to stop the battery getting hot from the engine

the plug is either for an immobiliser that wasnt fitted on certain models, or the diagnostic plug (there is another empty plug somewhere on the other side, i forgot which way round is which)

.. feel free to correct me if im wrong people lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fella - if that silver tape is heat shield am I right in thinking I shouldn't remove it? Damn stuff is kinda ugly but I don't want to run the risk of damaging the battery...

I'll look into what exactly an immobilizer is - would it be a good addition to my bike?

Thanks again mate, high fives from Montreal =)

·
Registered
80 Posts
imobiliser is like an alarm system, wont start the bike unless you engage it.. i dont like them personally

yeah i would leave the heat shield on, you could always paint it black if it stand out too much for you

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
there's a carb heater relay for an 1100 on ebay that looks like the blue plug would fit perfectly, i would just follow the wires from the blue plug to see if some of them go to the heaters in the carb to know for sure

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
1999-2003 USA,California, and Canada models. 2004-2005 all models Except California had a Carb. heater relay.
It was dropped from all models. However some latter models have just the wires with no need for the relay

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input guys, and thanks Datives for the link to that other forum post - guess I'm not the first person to scratch their head other this little blue mystery!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts