Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I was hoping there are a few riders here who have the Cobra single slip on 2275 without any fuel controllers or ECU flash as I would like to know how it effects the bike, most people say you do not need either the flash or a fuel controller if you only change the pipes or the air intake, but I would of thought a slipon wouldnt need those additions .... but still wondering what if any issues are produced just slipping that muffler on without them, and are there any real concerns? Thanks :grin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 09 1300 has a Cobra slip on and NO controller. Don't know if it has been reflashed or not, it was on when I bought the bike. I doubt very much it has been reflashed because it does have some popping on decell. Other than that the bike runs very strong, and I think it sounds great. If you want the most you can get out of the bike, then a reflash or controller may be in order however.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi folks,

I was hoping there are a few riders here who have the Cobra single slip on 2275 without any fuel controllers or ECU flash as I would like to know how it effects the bike, most people say you do not need either the flash or a fuel controller if you only change the pipes or the air intake, but I would of thought a slipon wouldnt need those additions .... but still wondering what if any issues are produced just slipping that muffler on without them, and are there any real concerns? Thanks :grin:

You don't need a fuel controller or flash with he slip on, but you may want one.

The stock muffler silences the poping and backfiring which the slip on will not. These bikes have something called "Fuel Cut" Fuel cut literally shuts the fuel injectors OFF when you let of the throttle above basically idle RPM while riding, that is why the bikes have heavy engine braking when you **** because when you back off the throttle to shift the engine is basically shut off. This is great for emissions but causes the A/F mixture to get over-lean in the exhaust and explode causing the popping. Stock muffler systems on cars and motorcycles mute this pretty effectively. Fuel controllers simply run the mixture over rich which minimizes but won't completely 100% eliminate popping. The Ivan flash does many things, Ignition, Fuel, throttle mapping and disables fuel cut.

·
Super Moderator
6,736 Posts
It’s very true if you’re only running a slipon, you won’t have to have a FMS or your ECU re-flashed. However if you want more, the most significant mod is an open air filter kit, and there’s a bunch of them out there, but you’ll need an FMS system or your ECU re-flashed. They come extremely lean from the assembly line to pass California emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, I have ordered the cobra slipon.
I also found a mod on this forum that shows how to add another baffle inside the cobra baffle to mute the muffler a little more, personally I am hoping this mod might help with the backfiring as well on a bike without a fuel controller or remap......

I had a remap on my previous Stryker (cobra air and V&H staggereds) and I was not happy with it at all for various reasons but that was a local Aussie remap not Ivans who I know has done much research and development into his maps for both these machines.......

on a side note I believe the OEM maps for the stryker and xvs1300A are different as they have different part numbers for the ECU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts