Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 vstar 950 (uk model with immobiliser) currently I'm getting the er-1 error code which means there is a link fault to the ECU/from the ECU. This isn't random, it was caused by a drama with the original wiring loom.

A new immobiliser cost unit costs £1000 in the UK and im not paying that!! A diagnostics check on my ECU costs £260 and doesn't mean it will be fixed either. ... I could pick up another ECU for the same price on ebay.

My question is...

I have a wiring loom for the US vstar 950 model. Could I get an ECU of any year from 2009-2013, a speedo/dash and right hand control from America then plug it all up and it work okay? I will basically be removing the immobiliser from my bike by placing in a US model non-immobiliser type ecu and wiring harness.

The only difference I can see between US and UK models is the US has no immobiliser, has no hazard switch and no immobiliser light on the dash/speedo so my thinking is that everything else on the bike is the same minus those few connections.

Doing this would save me nearly 1000 pound, any thoughts on if this would work?

Pete.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
486 Posts
Have you looked to see if the US harness had the required wiring for the hazard lights (emergency blinkers for you US people)? Pretty sure your bike will fail it's MOT if the hazards don't work...

·
Registered
99 Roadie
590 Posts
ER1 is missing input from the ign module to the fuel ecu. That usually supplies an engine speed signal for injector timing and fuel pump control.
Seems like it would be easier to repair your harness than to go with a different harness/ECU, different ECU could possibly involve reprogramming as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked to see if the US harness had the required wiring for the hazard lights (emergency blinkers for you US people)? Pretty sure your bike will fail it's MOT if the hazards don't work...
I've looked and enquired with a lot of companies in the US, none can find or source a harness with the correct wiring I need. No hazard lights isn't an MOT failure, a lot of motorcycles don't have hazard lights here.

I would completely remove the hazard switch so the MOT tester wouldn't even notice if it had them or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ER1 is missing input from the ign module to the fuel ecu. That usually supplies an engine speed signal for injector timing and fuel pump control.
Seems like it would be easier to repair your harness than to go with a different harness/ECU, different ECU could possibly involve reprogramming as well.
Thanks for the info on exactly what the Er-1 code means, I physically can't repair the harness because it's has melted completely in some parts due to a small fire. I can't find a replacement harness with the immobiliser connections anywhere, without paying stupid money for it for a new one.

Out of curiosity, Why would the ECU need retuning if the ECU is of the same bike and model and the only thing being different is the new ECU wouldn't have the Immobiliser software on it?

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
645 Posts
Am I the only one who does NOT know what this "Immobiliser software " is??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I the only one who does NOT know what this "Immobiliser software " is??
It's a variety of things in an anti theft system. My ignition has a chip/code reader which corresponds with my keys. The system knows if the correct key is being used when I turn the ignition on which it then sends to the ECU. If the correct code is sent, the ECU allows the fuel system and ignition system to start. Does that make sense? Haha.

That's the reason I asked I lf I can I get an ECU from a vstar 950 model that does not have the immobiliser system build into he ECU. Effectively removing the immobiliser completely.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
590 Posts
Out of curiosity, Why would the ECU need retuning if the ECU is of the same bike and model and the only thing being different is the new ECU wouldn't have the Immobiliser software on it?
[/QUOTE]

Depends on which module looks at the key transponder.
Many times modules that work together have the VIN in thier programming as a theft deterent. Sometimes that can be overwritten sometimes not.
Mismatched VIN's can prevent operation.
Do you know if that is a CAN buss system?
I dont have schematics for that model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer my own question;

Yes you can. I have just done it.

I have a UK model v star 950. Which had an immobiliser. I bought a harness and ECU from America, plugged in the American harness and ECU (US harness has 2 connections for the ignition compared to the 1 connection of the UK version) to solve this, I bought a new ignition of Ebay for £37 which has the required connections (or just connect the spare connection to itself, creating a loop)

The bike now runs perfectly with an ECU from a 2012 V star 950 (mine is a 2013 Midnight star) and I no longer have an immobiliser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts