Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried moving the pedal shaft on it's spline? Does it mess with the return spring? I'd like to remove it and turn it a couple of splines clockwise to make the pedal lower and slightly forward.

The pedal on my 1300 has very little travel so I don't think I need it way up where it is now. I can't rest my heel and use my toes to apply the brake, I have to hold my whole foot off the board. It seems unnecessary, but I know very little :)

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
426 Posts
Another member posted this in a different thread....

I did this on my 1300. I cut the arm and welded in a 4" extension piece made from 1/4" stock, then painted it black. I have pictures floating around in a thread somewhere, but I can't get to them right now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you just want to lower it look and see if the linkage has an adjustment. My 1100 does but that's with floorboard extensions. Not sure about stock. Even so maybe you could just add two pieces of all thread with a screw coupler. That's all it amounts to with my extensions.
I would think the pedal would come off the shaft and allow you to reinstall in a different position but it may move more than you want. Just make sure you don't make it too low and limit its travel in an emergency. And be sure to readjust the brake light switch when your done. Mine doesn't sit too high but like others I wish it was in front of the board not over it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey don
I just did my 1100 classic and a buddies of mine. I removed the lock bolt and carefully pulled the brake pedal away from the lever until the splines barely came away from each other. then carefully rolled the pedal forward a bit and slipped it back together. the splines are fine so don't go too far. two splines was too much. the spring stays on the lever if u carefully hold things in place. if u loose track the shaft end and the lever are staked to indicate the oem position.
it didn't mess with the spring or the brake rod adjustment.
its way more comfortable to actuate the rear brake now.
hopefully the 1300 is the same way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Our fab shop says they can modify the arm however I want, but looking at it, I may just need to rotate it. I appreciate the sharing of experiences.

Now if I can only not screw this up.......I'm good at making things worse....not better :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The position and strength of the brake was altered which is what I wanted but I had a really hard time getting the arm to go back on the spindle. Maybe it is just difficult to get to on the 650 but it could have led to a very dangerous situation as the arm was very close to coming off the spindle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts