Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of CANbus electronics? Probably a stupid question, but does VStar 1300 use this? Thanks !

Don

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have heard of it but don't actually know anything about it. I kinda doubt that Yamaha uses anything like that, at least on the Star line. I know some BMW bikes use it tho.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes I have, and as far as I can tell, our 2008 1300 T does not have it. But, I could be wrong ... Hourly tech at a Chrysler dealer, most Chrysler vehicles have CAN-C, some older ones use the CAN-B. Don't have much experience with it, or motorcycle wiring on newer bikes. Though with everything we've added to ours, haven't had a problem yet *knock on wood*

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to order a KISAN headlight modulator, specific to the 1300 when the website asked, "do you have CANbus." So I googled it, I called the dealer....service manager gave me to his, "electrical expert." He said he hadn't been trained on the newer models, but he didn't think so. I called VStar national customer service....they said, we don't know, but we don't think so.

Kisan makes a pretty simple plug and play adapter that fits between the head light and the wire, a H4 connector....seems pretty straight forward but the question threw me a bit. Don't want to ruin a $110 part. Asking around made me believe that, No they don't use CANbus. I did learn a lot about CANbus technology.....like I'll ever use that :)

I don't know much, but what I don't know, I really don't know.......I'll plug it in and see what happens!

Don

·
Registered
894 Posts
CAN bus is a communication bus (Controller Area Network). It allows neat things like sensor and actuator control and can even detect if a light went out. You don't have it. CAN bus Lamps have a resistor for the blown lamp circuitry to detect a GOOD lamp by checking the current a lamp SHOULD be drawing. You don't have it. Pay for it at your own expense. You will draw more current with a CAN bus bulb installed with zero benefit.

BTW, HD does use CAN bus along with BMW (and most German made vehicles, if not all of them).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts