Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks I am sharing a photo of my new forehead...Not that it is anything splendid and all...Just showing where they removed my cancer...And all it was, wa a tiny bump...

So if you are of a certain age (I'm 62) and haven't been to see a dermatologist...please do...It might save your life.

T

Attachments

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
did you goto Dr Paul Bunyon by any chance?

Cancer treatment has changed so much in my life. When I was a kid in the 60s, they would not even say someone had cancer, they would only say they were very sick, or they called it "C" as if cancer was unspeakable.

There were also people who thought it was contagious, so if someone had cancer some people would not go to see them.

And it was always the same - everyone died from it.

This is a great time to be alive.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Glad you're on the mend and free of it.

And you are 1000% correct. CANCER DOES SUCK!
It took my mom from me at the ripe old age of 11. An aunt 2 yrs later. My mom's mom when I was 18. And a good high school chum when I was 21. And several more folks I've cared about since.
So this is for you cancer... (see attached)

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
I’m glad you’re now cancer free my friend. You have many more miles ahead of you.
When I was a kid no one used the term ‘cancer’ either, it was merely some one was sick or ill. I pray a cure can one day be found as it’s taken away way too many family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes..Thank you all. That damned disease took my dad....and I can say "It ain't getting me!"

But tonight I'll celebrate being a survivor....and think of those that didn't...

T

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
Glad they got it. I've had multipe basil cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma ( 2 most common forms of skin cancer) removed throughout the years. Toymaker, from past experience be prepared for other spots to pop up. I procrastinate with one on my nose a few years ago. They had to cut so much off they harvested a section of my ear to rebuild my nose. So I can smear you very good now. ��. Hey, I've got to laugh about it. I joke about getting a free face lift as they stretch the skin to cover what they've cut off. Toymaker, I can feel your relief they got it. Did they use the MOHS technique to remove? I have a spot behind my ear now I need to get a biopsy done on. The bummer part is I can't wear my helmet, so no bike riding.

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
Toymaker, sent you a PM.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Glad they got it and you're ok! Just lost one of my closest friends to cancer after coming back from NC. Don't need to lose any new friends. Heal up quick!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I was expecting a smaller cut...but I'm cool with what was done...cuz they got it all!

T

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
In order to keep the skin from bunching up while stitching they make the round incision into a football shape. It makes the incision much larger but the skin will lay flat upon healing. Hope that made sense. Make sure and follow doctors wound care instructions and in no time all is good. My doctor tells me to never let the incision to dry out while healing. The best results are letting it heal from inside out. My other advice is to put a little sun screen on every morning in the future, every day. It will help detour any new spots.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah.. I am doing what the doctor told me to do...This all happened on the 22nd...it is now in the itchy stage of healing...

:)
T

PS...using vasoline to keep it moist...

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
Toymaker, how's it healing? Is your normal handsomeness starting to come back? 😃

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Les...my wife seems to think so...I am not healed all the way yet...but the stitches are gone and I can see where my scar will be...almost no even visible. Thanks for asking.... I go back in 4 months to let the doc have a lookiloo!

T

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
OK, I'm bummed. Surgery scheduled Dec 12. Skin cancer behind ear. Had biopsy today and was positive for cancer. This is the 10th or so time I've had skin cancer removed. Normally no big deal but this time it's behind the ear and on back side of ear itself. Can't wear helmet for a few days till biopsy spot heals a little. My surgeon is mad at me for waiting. She has plastic surgeon on standby that day as fear is it might entail a lot of ear removal. Well my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude has backfired. Probably going to be a while after surgery before I can wear helmet, and I won't ride without one. Not looking for sympathy, but everyone here has been like a second family the past few years and wanted y'all to know incase I'm not as active as I normally am. Anyway, any positive thoughts you could throw my way would be appreciated. Enough of the serious stuff. How will keep my glasses level with only one ear? Will I ever be able to appreciate a stereo radio again? I could use the phase "turning a deaf ear" and be trueful. The saying In one ear and out the other won't work anymore. What else can y'all think of? Humor in these situations is one way I cope, so please add to the list of humor.

·
Super Moderator
4,477 Posts
ToyMaker, didn't mean to highjack your thread. Guess we will be in recovery together.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts