Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
We all consider ourselves to be good riders. We usually tell everyone that it's the drivers on the roads we worry about most. Two weeks ago, my, 50-year-old son was returning from an errand, when an 18-year-old girl pulled in front of him. He had nowhere to go, no time to even hit the brakes. He's now in the hospital with one less leg. The driver told the police, she thought he was slowing down to let her out.

People laugh at us for putting bright lights and flashing brake light on our bikes, but I offer no apologies. We just want to get their attention. Never stop telling people to put down the phone, get their mind on driving, and off of jobs, boyfriends or shopping. Riding makes us much better drivers when we get behind the wheel. If we could just get others to look.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Very sad to hear your story. I hope that your son can recover the maximum extent possible. I am on another forum and have pushed safety at every opportunity. Even though I sometimes get disparaging remarks, I persist with talking about the vulnerability of the motorcycle rider. I am going to take the liberty of posting your post on that forum Thank you for sharing. Augie

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
I'm with Angie 100% and I'm very sorry for your son and family. I continue to be amazed at how careless many drivers are and only think of themselves while on the roadways. Here's hoping for the best for your family and your sons quick recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am sorry about your son. And wish him a speedy recovery. I am alsoo in the process of beefing up the lighting while I am winterizing the bike and hope the lights will help. Although until drivers start getting hit with fines for talking on a cell phone, doing makeup and other assorted stupid things then bikers still need to be on their toes. I already had one dealing earlier with a driver coming off the interstate. I want to be proactive in making sure others see me. But my best to your son!

Bill

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Wow man. So sorry for your son. And you too. I know that can't be easy for you to be seein you boy that way. Just glad not any worse. It's true there are more distractions than ever before, for drivers, and riders alike. And there are some people out there that shouldn't even be driving. That's why ya got ta have eyes all over yer head, and always try to anticipate the unexpected. Believe me, I know that's hard to do when yer really enjoyin the ride. We hope for a speedy recovery for yer boy.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Kmedlin,

Sorry to hear about your son's accident and happy to hear he survived.

I lost my cousin Danny in Nevada about 10 years ago. He was in his late 50s, was a MSF instructor for most of his adult life, an avid HD rider and had restored several very early HDs to museum quality.

He was on the highway at night in traffic. Coming around a bend there was an extension ladder lying in the road. He managed to avoid it but the other cars swerved to miss the ladder and killed Danny.

We do the best we can it minimize the risks of riding, but sometimes no matter how skilled or careful you are some things you cannot control.

I hope you and your son can make the best of this terrible situation and still find joy, happiness and peace in your lives, and in the motorcycle community.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the well wishes guys. He is doing good mentally, his spirits are high. He just found out yesterday that while the doctors were reviewing his cat scans, they found a 6 cm mass on his left kidney. After a second cat scan, they determined that it is cancer. The doctor is confident that surgery in a couple of months will get all of the cancer, with the loss of half to three-quarters of his kidney. You always here that everything happens for a reason. The way I see it, the accident may have saved his life.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes guys. He is doing good mentally, his spirits are high. He just found out yesterday that while the doctors were reviewing his cat scans, they found a 6 cm mass on his left kidney. After a second cat scan, they determined that it is cancer. The doctor is confident that surgery in a couple of months will get all of the cancer, with the loss of half to three-quarters of his kidney. You always here that everything happens for a reason. The way I see it, the accident may have saved his life.
My neighbor fell off a ladder while cutting a limb out of a tree. He noticed blood in his urine almost immediately after the fall and a scan showed a tumor in his kidney. They had to remove the kidney. If it hadn't been for the fall they probably wouldn't have known about the tumor in time to correct the problem. (everything happens for a reason). We all wish the best for your son and the family. Augie

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
There is a chinese proverb:

A farmers horse ran away. His friends came over to console him in his loss. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a good thing".

A few days later the horse came back with a mate. His friends came over to celebrate his good fortune. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a bad thing".

The farmers son decided to break the new horse so it could be ridden, was thrown off and broke his leg. His friends came over to console him in his misfortune. The farmer said "who knows, maybe its a good thing".

A war broke out and all the healthy young men were sent off to a hopeless battle. The farmers son remained at home with his broken leg.

The point is 99.999% of the things that happen in life are totally random and out of your control. All any of us can do is make the best of our situation with the assets we have at our disposal.

And the best asset we have is each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sympathies

You have my sympathies as does your family. Even in the 2 years I have been riding, I have had a few close calls from people speeding and changing lanes in an intersection to lane drifting. You cannot ever be too careful.

Everyone be safe out there please.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Although until drivers start getting hit with fines for talking on a cell phone, doing makeup and other assorted stupid things then bikers still need to be on their toes.
THIS, 1000 time this.

Distracted driving carries very small fines here in California which are hardly a deterrent for people. Until it is treated the same way as Drunk driving, people are not going to change their habits.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Sad news indeed, I am sorry that this happened but finding the cancer so early is positive.

Where I live, I see very little in regards to traffic laws being enforced, speeders, tailgaters, passing over a solid line, people pulling out when they do not have the right of way, not using turn signals, distracted driving, you name it. I look around and there is never a cop to be seen.

I watch people that are waiting to pull out carefully, I have a modulator on my headlight, I cover my brakes and often scrub 5 to 10mph; but even though I do this I know that there is a point of no return where if that person decides to pull out there will be nothing I can do, it can happen to anyone.

That woman thought your son was slowing down for her, why would she think that, unless she thought that people should slow down and let her out, and if they don't then she will just pull out anyway.

Imho, the root of it is that most people are self centered and believe that if they are in a hurray then you should get the heck out of the way, they know they are not going to get a ticket and if they did they would just get it fixed. Just as there is no respect for authority, there is no respect for the law, and there is no respect for the next person.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I have a modulator on my headlight...

That woman thought your son was slowing down for her, why would she think that...?
Funny you should say that.

Are you aware that the universal signal to let someone cross your path or pull out of a side street is to blink your highbeams?

If your motorcycle headlights are modulated and someone only looks at them for a second, you have just blinked them through the intersection.

Whenever I come up on an intersection where oncoming traffic has its left blinker on, Im off the throttle and covering the brakes until Im sure everyone is staying put. The last thing I would want them to think is that Im blinking them through.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The driver actually said that she thought both vehicles were slowing down to let her out. She was turning left across traffic. The third vehicle involved was traveling in the opposite direction than my son. so her statement was a frightened girl trying to find an excuse. She pulled out then stopped Keith tried to go around in front, he said that he thought he had time, before oncoming traffic, ten she started back up and he had nowhere to go.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Cars turning left across traffic is one of the most common causes of accidents.

I use to work on a street that had the highest accident rate in the whole western half of the state. It was a four lane business district with a single shared left turn lane down the middle. That means people pulling out of driveways going left had to cross at least three lanes. There were accidents nearly every day for the 3 years I worked there.

They finally put a median and guard rail down the middle of the street - no more left turns in the middle of the block, only at intersections, and then only with green arrows (red arrows to stop turning cars).

Obviously for MCs its even worse. Personally I stay off of four lane roads like that whenever possible, just too many cars in all directions to keep track of. Its one of the things they covered in the MSF course, reducing risk factors.

I would rather get to work five minutes later taking a 2 lane road than not get there at all. But like I said earlier, sometimes there is nothing you can do, you cannot reduce all the risks to zero.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Your are probably corect in saying that the young girl was rightened and trying to find an excuse, she must have felt really bad about the accident. I tend to assume too much at times.

Yes blinking ones headlight is a signal for the other person to go ahed, I use it at times (while in a car) to let a trucker know he has room to merge over. The modulator I have blinks rapidly, about 3 times a second so I am prettly comfortable with it, but do not rely on it.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that there is a point of no return where there is not enough time to avoid a collision and our safety is in the hands of the other driver, hopefully he/she is paying attention.

Sorry for the previous rant, drivers not obeying traffic laws is a pet peeve of mine. :eek:

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Front turn signals are yellow

Yellow means caution = danger!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts