Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Les has done this before! :^)

people have posted the Phillips head screws have a Japanese standard pitch to the point, if you use a screwdriver from Sears or Lowes it will strip out the head. This is something worth googling, you can get the right screwdriver bits and have at least a decent chance of getting them off intact.

Or maybe its easier to strip them out and get new screws.
They're called JIS screws (Japanese Industry Standard, I believe it stands for). You can find them on eBay if no hardware stores in your area carry them. If only I'd known that back in my early teens it would've saved hours of grief getting the screws off the cover of my XR75 to clean and change the points. A Phillips head screwdriver stripped them almost immediately.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have had good luck and haven't stripped any JIS screws using the dewalt yellow bits. the MAXfit bits.

I cannot find anywhere on dewalts website that says what MAXfit means, other than designed to fit better.

There are several philips/jis/... multi-drivers on amazon that seem to do well.

Philips screws were designed to strip out, JIS were not designed to strip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the carbs off, cleaned and they were nasty.. some of the jets were completely clogged... Used Guitar string piece to openthem up after soaking in carb cleaner basket in a can... went pretty good, I have them all back together but I will be opening the intake valve covers to check the clearance on them before buttoning it back up..Since it's wide open to look at , I might as well open them up right... I got some o ring gaskets for them the other day at the dealer...
the inside was really neglected and the outside not much nice... all I want to do right now is get it running decent so I can get it inspected and drive it up and down the road a bit...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Nasty is an understatement. I don't think Seafoam would've helped much but it looks like you've gotten to the root of the problem. You should be on the road in no time!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I hope so, I replaced the float needle valve since a new one came with it and the little drum it sits in was replaced as well... All went A-OK...
I HAD NO ISSUES WITH THE SCREWS (jis) THAT WAS MENTIONNED BEFORE...

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Sounds like you are getting it done. Post you final results and any issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well ran fine for about a mile then dead...I missed something...ran really good but when it died it won’t crank unless on full choke. I need to rebuild the petcock and clean the jets again I guess. I am going to take it all apart again and clean the tank, petcock and the tank again.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
thats interesting - a 650 will run about a mile on the fuel in the float bowls

either the fuel got cut off, the fuel pump stopped, or the floats stuck shut.

·
Registered
447 Posts
thats interesting - a 650 will run about a mile on the fuel in the float bowls

either the fuel got cut off, the fuel pump stopped, or the floats stuck shut.
I was thinking likely the petcock intake filters where clogged.
Or something in the gas line got flushed down there and clogged the jets.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I am going to make me a blocking plate for the petcock hole and plug it temporarily and do the vinegar trick... I want to have all the components on hand so I am going to dismantle it first then see what I need...I might go ahead and order a new fuel pump... I found some pretty inexpensive ones on Ebay. The filter when I blew through it was flowing pretty wide open

21 - 33 of 33 Posts