Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had the bike(2003 V Star Classic) for 3 weeks now and still is not running right. Takes a few tries to get started even with choke on and the will spit and sputter after it warms up unless I give it more than 1/2 throttle. Been through 3 tanks of gas 2 with 1/2 bottle pof seafoam and the first one my brother in law used some kind of injector cleaner. Dosent seem to be getting any better. I attempted to take it out yesterday but got as far as taking the air box off and noticed the rear carb boot wasent connected. I thought this could be the problem ,so I put it back together and try it out. Still had the same problem. So sunday Im gonna take the carb out and give it a good cleaning and clear out the jets. Got a print out on how to get to the jets and picked up a set of needle nose vise grips. The replacement screws that I picked were not stainless steel. Dose anyone now if this is a bad idea not using stainless alan head screws? wish me luck:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought a 650 custom about 3 mo. ago. Very similar situation the bike had been sitting for sometime. I has lots of trouble getting the bike to idle well and she would run on the front cylinder 10 min into a ride. I had the carbs cleaned and now the bike runs great. Don't give up on the 650 it is a great bike and once you get the gunk out of the carbs she will likely run great. Mine is running great and I just love it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a 650 custom about 3 mo. ago. Very similar situation the bike had been sitting for sometime. I has lots of trouble getting the bike to idle well and she would run on the front cylinder 10 min into a ride. I had the carbs cleaned and now the bike runs great. Don't give up on the 650 it is a great bike and once you get the gunk out of the carbs she will likely run great. Mine is running great and I just love it!
I have the 1100 classic. I know it still is the same problem but you can get to the bowls easier. My dad has a 1999 650 .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the carbs off. Opened the the bowls without messing up any of the screws. Looked like it was off before because the pms screw plugs were already out. Took the jets out (main and pilot) let them soak in some carb cleaner(CRC). Everything looked clean but sprayed out the bowls and all the jet opening. Used a small wire from bread twist tie to go through the small holes and the pilot opening. Put everything back together and fired it up. Still hard to start and still stumbling when I try to take off unless I give it more throttle. Anyone have any sugestions? Was realy hoping this was gonna fix it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention all the stuff I did so far. Changed the oil, new spark plugs, new fuel filter. Checked the petcock filter when I had the tank off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took the carbs back off. Took the bowls off took the float off and took the main jet and pilot jet out on one side. Took the diaphram out and sprayed carb cleaner through everything. Everything looked clear so I put it back together and diid the same on the other side. Put the carb back on and started it up. Ran with choke on fine then turned it off and could not throttle up. would stall out when ever I tried to turn the throttle. Turned the choke back on and it would idle up. Was starting to pop and back fire also. Without the choke onit would stall out even when I tried to turn the idle up. Any more ideas what I could do.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
if everything is stock your jets and pms should be stock.with your open pipes you should increase your pms to richen it a bit.you've been in the carbs to clean with a small wire.find out what jets are in and what the pms is .turn the screws in slowly until "lightly" seated and count how many turns out.also check all rubber connectors.good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I gave up on messing with the carb and took it to the shop. Spoke with the owner of the shop and he said it sounds like a clogged venturi curit. I didnt have a compreeor to blow everything out. He is going to take the carb offand check everthing out. Only thing that really sucks is he is real busy and it will tatke a week before he can get to it. Meanwhile found a windshield on craigslist thst was foggy and had some rust on it for $40. polished the plexi up and polished all the rust off of the hardware and is ready to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike is back home now. It still has a flat spot but not as bad as before. It will hicup once around 2500-3000 rpms in 1st and 2nd. after that its fine. Shop said it might need the neddle replaced but give it about 500 miles of riding and see if it smooths out. Really wanted to ride this weekend otherwise they would have keeped it and tried to do the whole jet kit. Already have the windshied on too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well had it for about a week now and didn't ride too much till sunday and Monday. We had some rain on teus. and a chance of some rain on wed. so I didn't ride to work. Last nite I took it out for a ride to home depot . When I got there and started to park the idle droped down and it started to pop. After I got out of home depot thought I would take it down a back street to blow it out. It started to backfire and missing and stalled out. Took about 10 min. to get it started and finally got it to run with the choke open and keeping it at half throttle just like it was doing before I took it to the shop. Now on Monday I had no problem and must have put about 150 miles on with it hitting the occasional flat spot. Made it to the shop and dropped it off for them to see what they could do. wish me luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow that really stinks! Hopefully the shop will get the carbs straight so you can get riding and enjoy some of this great spring weather. Good luck and let us know what the shop finds!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts