Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I made a little video of the issue i am having in hopes people have suggestions or ideas. I have a 2000 VSTAR 650 and I am i cleaning the carbs etc.

Problems:
1) Carb float not bouncing like the other one
2) Previous owner used a penny nail as float pin

Troubleshooting:
1) I don't think the issue is the penny nail pin, because i used the float pin from the other carb and the problem still persists
2) When I tilt the good float, it stops at the spring tip of the needle
3) When I tilt the bad float, it depresses the spring tip of the needle
4) I ordered a float pin for a annoying $10 total with shipping, but i don't think the PIN is the issue. Waiting for it to arrive
5) I tried other needle valves and it still persists

Carb Float NOT bouncing

Help

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's hard to tell from a moving video but the tab that holds the spring on right side(not bouncing side) seems to be bent back much more than the one on the left.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
596 Posts
Plus on the video it looks like the left side of 2 mounts where the pin (penny nail) attach is bent out of shape. almost like a screwdriver had been used to move it to remove the original pin.
do you have a straight on photo of the assembly?

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,596 Posts
You beat me to it. Good call out. The float valve has a spring. Spring is bad or missing. Another view.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All thanks for the replys.

This morning before i left for work:
1) I weighed each float and they both are 3 grams
2) Pushed down each spring in the needle valve and they both are acting the same and it's seems like same tension.
3) I have some spare needle valves, will test them .The float needle on both are springing at the same tension.

Next steps to troubleshoot:
1) I don't know why i didn't think of this initially, I will take the good float, pin and needle and put it in the other side and see how it reacts.
2) @Hyde_me, it does look like the tab holding the penny nail is kinda bent, will examine this evening.

Here are some more pics. See if you guys notice anything . Thanks for all the help

·
8,596 Posts
Great pictures. One thing I noticed, the "bad" side float valve holder looks a little rough around top edge, it wouldn't take much to restrict movement. To test definitely swap parts between bowls. Just carefully mark the original position so you can take everything back to square one. Also is the "bad" side tab possible bent so the float is bottomed out against carb body , if so there would be no movement. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys were totally right and spot on. I put the good needle in the other Carb and see the video to close this one out. Thank you all again. QUALITY REPLACEMENT PARTS. The ones I was using was new from ebay and one had good tension and one had bad tension.

SOLVED - Float not bouncing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad that you got it figured out and thanks for posting the solution. It could help others in the future.
I like to make little videos and take pictures to help people. I get so happy when someone helps me solve an issue so I try to pay back. Yesterday amazon delivered this LED Magnifying Lamp just for this stupid float needle issue. I couldn't see because it was so small and not well illuminated when I was inspecting. I cannot believe I lived all these years without one of these things. I can see everything and it helps me take amazing detailed pictures with the LED. Just sharing because it made my life so much easier.
light.

·
8,596 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheetat1, just another observation. see comment on image... View attachment 91198
Thanks @dmil123 , a few others on here mentioned to inspect that, and with my new best friend, my trusty magnifying LED glass, it looks like it's not bent, its looks chipped on the left side. The inner side of the left post looks straight, I think. What do you think? Take a look.

·
Registered
639 Posts
hard to tell from pictures. Just thought it was worth mentioning so you could check it to be sure. It looks like cast metal so it might break off easily if you did try to bend it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts