Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start out asking if anyone knows what the draw on the battery might be from the carb heaters. My issue is charging voltage as the temperature was around 45 degrees and checked the output voltage was down to 12.8. Did the normal test thought maybe had a problem with rectifier but not so. Further test was trying to figure out what was wrong all the wiring and connections are clean and tight. Digging into it further pulling fuses one at a time I started with light fuses then the voltage went to 13.1 still not what I expected. Went further and pulled the carb heater fuse and what do I have now The voltage came up to 14.3 I can live with that. Why concerns are do the heaters run all the time or do they turn off like being timed or are the temp controlled. Any one have issues with the 650 charging system keeping battery charge. This didn’t happen when warmer weather was here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes there is a thermostat that turns the heaters on below 50 to 60 degrees. It is located near the fuel pump under the tank.
When operating the heaters draw between 5 and 14 ohms, if I'm reading the book correctly. Don't know how many watts that is? Could figure it out ,ohms law.
I have never had problems with my 99 or 09 charging and I've ridden in 30 degree temps many times.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
When you check the voltage at idle i would say 12.8 is normal. When rev it should jump to 14.something. When my rectifier went it would stop charging after about 30 seconds. When i removed it the second time i noticed signs of heat on the back. All of the resistance tests passed.
IMG_20190615_173134.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I’m thinking that one of the heaters must be drawing to much and putting a heavy load on the system unfortunately the bike is in Ohio and won’t be able to get back to it for awhile. Didnt have my book with me when I was there last just left the fuse out for my son-in-law to practice riding it. Next trip down there I’ll dig a little deeper into the issues. It needs new intake boots so I’ll have most of the bike apart then I can get a better look at the whole system. Thanks for the information on the location of thermostat- temp timer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are 3 carburetor heaters mounted in the carburetors of my 650, one in each side and one towards the center of both carburetors. The center carb heater is the one that draws more power than the ones on the sides, warmer. They are controlled by a temp controller ( thermostat ) located in the proximity of the fuel pump, under the gas tank. There is also a relay next to the battery associated with the wiring of the heaters to help control the units, it is light blue color. They didn't work when I got bike, the problem was the temp sending unit under the gas tank. When the heaters warm up, they go up to 88 deg F then they quit working. The reason I know this, is because I was testing my carburetor heaters with an infrared thermometer after I replaced the temp sending unit when starting the bike in the mornings. It helps quite a bit in cold weather, cold air is denser than warm air.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you run your bike without them being powered as I’m thinking at least for now it’s charging the battery. The fuel mileage isn’t a factor at this point as he’s Just learning to ride it in a parking lot. The bike actually runs just fine and starts perfect. What I can see in the manual didn’t help much as I was looking for the location of the temp sender and relay but thanks for letting me know where to look for them. I appreciate all the help and when I get back down there I’ll be replacing the intake boots and probably do more testing on the system as well as cleaning the carbs valve adjustments too. It appears that the older 650 classic has a smaller charging system than other bikes and might even be working as it should just dislike the voltage that I seen when last checked.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Are you having with lights going dim or battery going dead?
If it works, don't fix it I say!
When I had my 650, I did not bother checking output. If it cranked over good and lights were bright, it was all good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2000 has them. Handy first thing in the morning on cooler days.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont wat to be "that guy" but the 2001 had 3 and the 2007 had 2.

This is the american model of the 2001 650 Custom parts diagram. Part numbers 14 and 16 on the diagram.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone the only issue that it has caused is a low charging system voltage at idle probably if the bike was driven down the road it might not even be a issue. But as of now we are using it to train my son-in-law and daughter to ride. so what happens is there is not enough voltage to keep it charged up. But since removal of the fuse it’s been ok but I’m kinda fussy about any thing that can leave you stuck on the road. And also it may normal but I’ve really never drove it when temperatures were that low. So if anyone that has carb heaters would love to know what you’re charging voltage is cold. Thanks in advance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts