Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm just curious i've done some research and can't find an answer I like I have a 2003 vstar 1100, I recently installed a spike air cleaner and rejetted the carbs but after a short ride and some more researching about them i've decided to just go back to stock. While putting the original jets back in I had one of the carb heaters come apart on me. Now I have one on order but i'm hoping to ride this weekend and my question is if this will have any impact on the bike if I leave the one unplugged or should I leave both unplugged and try to ride like this? I'm near Toronto and temp is going to be about 15-20 degrees celcius this weekend. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hey everyone, i'm just curious i've done some research and can't find an answer I like I have a 2003 vstar 1100, I recently installed a spike air cleaner and rejetted the carbs but after a short ride and some more researching about them i've decided to just go back to stock. While putting the original jets back in I had one of the carb heaters come apart on me. Now I have one on order but i'm hoping to ride this weekend and my question is if this will have any impact on the bike if I leave the one unplugged or should I leave both unplugged and try to ride like this? I'm near Toronto and temp is going to be about 15-20 degrees celcius this weekend. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
you can run with out carb heaters but the engine might be a little choppy until it's fully warmed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks pauli466, i've still got my fingers crossed that the parts will arrive today. If not I will run this weekend without then install once it comes in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but how would you test the carb heaters and electrical circuit? My bike does this very thing but once completely warmed up it runs fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the carb heaters are just there for cold weather starts I believe. outside that I don't believe they serve any other purpose. so once the bike is started then they are just docile I assume. must be regulated by the computer somehow.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread, but how would you test the carb heaters and electrical circuit? My bike does this very thing but once completely warmed up it runs fine.
you can ohms test the thermal switch on the fuel pump bracket and also the actual heater threaded into the carbs. you can also install a pilot light to let you know when they're activated. i have two pilot lights on my tank bezel a green one for passing lamps and a red one for carb heaters. if the thermal switch does go bad and locks the heaters in the on position i'll know it by the indicator staying on. now i want to figure out how to do an oil pressure indicator or gauge for a 650

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you ever find out about your bike?. My VStar 650 does the same thing. Cold starts are a problem, once completely warmed up she runs fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts