Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cleaning the carbs on my o4 V Star 650 and I removed whats referred to as "Main jet screw", page 206, # 18 in my Clymer manual. Well now I am having a problem reinstalling it. The screw is hex head with threads however there are no threads in the port it goes into. There's a small pin through the left wall of the port that protrudes into the opening. I'm guessing that this pin may be what holds the main jet screw in place. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the threads on the screw I'm dealing with are only about a 1/4" long. The screw is hex head,threaded, and has a hollow center. I can see the walls of the port are smooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I unscrewed it it seemed to come out like a regular threaded screw. Now, the threaded end goes in easily. the threaded part of the screw is smaller than the diameter of the port it came out of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Problem solved! O.K. so after watching a couple of videos on 650 carb. cleaning, one of which showed the same problem I was having, I found that the screw that I removed, screws into a barrel assem. that acts as a guide for the end of the needle valve. Apparently after or as I removed the screw, the assem. moved backward. To move it back into position, I had to remove the air box. After removal, I was able to see the end of the guide and move it back into position in the throttle body. Holding it in position, I was able to reinstall the hex head screw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts